Brady is a beneficiary of a great system
by JC (2019-01-21 12:32:58)

In reply to: Not a Pats fan but Brady is a stone cold killer *  posted by Soloirish

Witness Matt Cassell going 11-5 when Brady had a season ender back in 2008 I think. I'm not saying he isn't a great QB, he is, but Belichik has created a system that works ... and would work for quite a few QBs in the league.

Imagine if the Lions had drafted the "hometown" Michigan boy Brady ... how long do you think he would have lasted in the league?

This too
by gordonbombay  (2019-01-21 14:45:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm generally in the camp of not playing the what-if game to determine how great a guy is - if you're great, you're great - and I don't hold it against Brady that he was put in a really good situation (after all, he's not the first, and he took advantage of his good fortune better than any player in history).

That said, Brady is Exhibits A, B and C of how a good landing spot can really aid you - there's basically no way in hell he wins any of his first 3 titles without the great defenses he had in his early seasons - and a bad one can really hurt you.