There's a post-game interview with VBC (defender) in
by G.K.Chesterton (2019-01-26 12:42:18)

In reply to: So the NFL is gonna head into Super Bowl week with  posted by Carlos Huerta

which he says he thought he heard a ref say the word "tipped", as if the ref thought the ball was tipped (which would negate any such penalty).

That said, King Roger will have to address it this week.

Yeah that's odd and needs explaining. Neither ref made
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-01-26 16:26:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the tip ball motion on that sideline that a ref needs to make when eating their flag for that reason. Neither seemed to offer that as a reason to Payton. Inside the NFL has a very good angle of the ref who was around the 15 yard line, after contact he reaches down for his flag and hesitates and in my interpretation looks to see if the guy on the goal line is throwing his flag. I have little doubt that if he saw that guy throwing a flag he would have followed his instinct and thrown his too. I think he choked and didn't trust what he saw because he was a afraid of being on an island on a call that decided a Super Bowl berth.

A guy who covers the Rams for the Athletic tries to make the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-27 08:48:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

case that the ball was tipped and he also states that if the Saints had the ability to throw a challenge flag on the non-call, the play would have still been negated because he states that there were two penalties on the Saints on that play that were also missed by the refs.

See link below for more details.

Even if the ball was tipped, isn't a helmet to helmet hit...
by Dan93  (2019-01-27 11:44:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a penalty in the NFL?

You bet it is. *
by usmcirish  (2019-01-27 21:21:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The guy was fined for that hit last week but it wasn't
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-01-27 12:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

called during the game (for whatever reason).