I agree completely. Haven't watched it in ages. But, in
by usmcirish (2019-01-28 19:36:51)

In reply to: Worst sporting event of the year, every year  posted by son of galway

the 60's and early 70's, it sure meant a lot for a player to be selected, especially "All Pro."

I was devastated as a kid when they picked Merlin Olsen and Alan Page for NFC All Pro and Bob Lilly, my favorite player, only made the Pro Bowl.

Most people here would have far preferred Page, but that is a debate for another day.

The game should have been mothballed a long time ago. They can still select the honors though.

I was recently on a flight with Bob Lilly.
by TheGeneral  (2019-01-29 12:31:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was sitting behind me next to a huge Cowboys fan. Lilly talked with the fan the entire flight and really seemed to enjoy the conversation. He seems like a genuinely good guy (even though he played for the Cowboys).

Those things still matter.
by John@Indy  (2019-01-29 11:37:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Players still care about being selected. Lots of people around here were taking about the omission of Darius Leonard from the Pro Bowl even though he was first team all pro.

As for the quality of play, for the 35 years I've been old enough to pay attention, the Pro Bowl always has been known as the least worthwhile All-Star game.

Have you read Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer?
by 1978Irish  (2019-01-29 11:02:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He talks about the great defensive tackles he went up against that year, Alex Karras, Merlin Olson, Bob Lilly, Alan Page and Charlie Krueger.

I think he said Karras was the best of that outstanding group of players. I think he ranked Olson second.

I don’t think he said a lot about Lilly, as he was matched up with Jethro Pugh for much of the game, including the NFL championship game and the block for the game winning touchdown

I think he said Page was a big young athletic kid; maybe his rookie season.

He thought Krueger (49ers) was underrated . He liked to work up a hatred for the other player, but Krueger was too nice. After the game Krueger shook his hand and wished him well in the playoffs and Kramer felt bad for hating on him.

He had no trouble working up hatred for Karras.

Yes I have. And Run to Daylight. No way in my mind that
by usmcirish  (2019-01-30 11:46:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Karras was in Lilly's league. Nor Krueger. Really good players, but Lilly could play today.

Olsen definitely and no one was quicker at the snap than Page. Page, Lilly and Olsen were in a class by themselves for a few years. Joe Greene joined soon after.

haha. Edit to add, Of course, I never had to block any of these guys.

You might be right. Kramer's evaluation might be colored
by 1978Irish  (2019-01-30 14:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by playing against Karras every year and against Lilly only occasionally.

He also acknowledged that Lilly usually lined up against the other guard.

Kramer did say Krueger was a cut below the others, but still very good.

He only played against Page when Page was young.