I know why it sucked and didn’t even watch. *
by Cash (2019-02-03 22:41:14)

In reply to: Why this Super Bowl sucked  posted by jrdjr84

This user did not provide content for this post

Saints got absolutely screwed *
by pmcdnd96  (2019-02-03 22:42:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saints
by NDFANOK57  (2019-02-03 22:55:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe if they didn't choke away a 13-0 lead, on their home field vs a very beatable Rams team as we saw tonight , that game would never have come down to one blown call..and if the refs got the call right, who's to say the Saints dont fumble the ball away, or Brees tosses an interception as that terrible one he threw, or the kicker misses the FG, and they lose anyway..
The Saints fans and team/organization need to stop their crying, and move on..Two years ago they choked away the VIkings game, now its the refs fault..

Sorry, Im not buying..

maybe that comet rapper would've caught on fire and killed
by abqgant  (2019-02-04 15:34:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

everyone in the stadium.

Anything can happen.

Or, maybe the Saints hit a FG to take the lead, AND
by NDFANOK57  (2019-02-06 17:17:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ray Goff then hits Brandin Cooks for a 61 yd last second TD play to win the game..

you're right...Anything can happen..

I'm no Saints fan
by HTownND  (2019-02-04 11:57:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But that was the most egregious and terrible miss in the history of the NFL in my lifetime, and it's not close.

And it 100% cost them the game.

It's a travesty and completely sullied the whole thing (to the point I was glad the Pats won).

The Saints fans have a legitimate beef, they were completely railroaded by two refs who were either incompetent or scared to make one of the easiest calls ever, and they both missed it.

The NFL can go piss on an electric fence at this point, they have a huge credibility problem.

If they don't fix the god awful officiating problem soon, this whole thing will blow up on them.

PS - I blame their continued insistence on protecting the QB (unless his name is Jared Goff, then you can level him on the sideline and it's clean good football) and changing the game has made the officials unsure of themselves, because there are so many BS rules to keep track of, they miss the obvious stuff. The NFL is heading down a very very very bad path right now.

That was a clean hit
by pmcdnd96  (2019-02-04 12:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was he going out of bounds? Sure. But he wasn’t there yet.

(And he deserved to get lit up for being too dumb to throw the ball away - he took a two yard loss and a hit to avoid an incompletion. Dumb)

I agree
by HTownND  (2019-02-04 13:09:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a clean hit.

I was just surprised, because the NFL has been going the other way when it comes to hits like that when it comes to protecting QBs

Agreed. I was waiting to scream at the tv bud didn’t have to *
by pmcdnd96  (2019-02-04 13:11:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I fail to understand the logic behind "what if"
by NDTwice  (2019-02-04 11:50:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

comments like yours.

What might or might not have happened if the call was made correctly has absolutely no bearing on the blown call. There were two penalties on the play that wasn't called. It was a terrible no call and that is the point. What would or wouldn't have happened in a hypothetical tale doesn't change that.

Saint fans have every right to complain.

GFY
by Cash  (2019-02-03 23:31:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was the worst call in the history of major sports in America. Nothing mitigates that. The game was over and something that cannot be reasonably explained by human error took place. Then the fuckface commissioner hid for 10 days.

Fuck everything.

Cash

This is the only correct answer. *
by CajunIrish  (2019-02-04 17:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree with every single word here...
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-02-04 08:47:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no horse in this race, but fair is fair, and the Saints were treated unfairly.

As I walked around Atlanta this weekend, every Saints fan I met was gracious about it. I'd still be rioting if this happened to my team. It was a broad daylight robbery and I'll never forget how corrupt the sport is.

Fuck Goodell, fuck the refs and fuck the tainted Super Bowl.

Can’t be reasonably explained by human error?
by irishboy89  (2019-02-04 07:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You lost me there

Yes, can't be reasonably explained by human error.
by Cash  (2019-02-04 22:23:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Read no more into that than what I said.

First, if you don't know, I live in New Orleans. I went to Saints games in the days when fans had bags on their heads. I'm no disinterested party, but I tell myself that I know how to think critically with at least some objectivity.

There were four referees with a clear line of sight to the play. Two - the field judge and the line judge on the Saints' right side - had perfect and proximate views. The back judge also had a reasonable view. Lastly, the head referee, who did not have the relevant responsibility on that play, had a direct line of sight to the contact as well. And there is good footage of his eyes turning toward the action before the hit. This is interesting because he claimed that he did not see the play. This is what we in south Louisiana like to call a dirty fargin' lie.

The side judge and the field judge were in perfect position, proximate to the play, without any interference, and did not throw a flag despite it being as uncontroversial and obvious a pass interference as one will ever see. People with minimal knowledge of the game recognized it. Everyone saw it. But the two people closest to it not wearing football gear thought it was kosher?

Human error is a part of the game, just like that rat fink chode-face Goodell said. He's right. And just like in most games, there were missed calls benefiting both sides because the game is fast and sometimes views are not ideal and they're humans. We all get that. That hit on Lewis was different.

Too many people with too ideal a view of too obvious a call not throwing a flag in that instance makes the chance of simple error explaining it preposterous. The chances of it being sincere error are an infinitesimally number. Of this I am certain, and any reasonable person should be able to come to this conclusion if you see the play enough.

I don't know what happened. I have considered the possibility that it was just raw cowardice: an unwillingness to make a call that would have been that consequential. There's a screed from a retired referee that has made the rounds asserting that it looks like some alpha dominance bullshit by the more senior field judge who intimidated the side judge into not making the call (he also states unequivocally that both should be canned). I suppose that's possible. I think it's unlikely that of the four refs with a view, none could summon the courage to make the easiest call of the day.

As for alternate explanations, I just don't know. I do know that in my line of work we tend to let Occam's Razor guide our initial thinking. But we also know that when ordinary explanations do not suffice, we must entertain the extraordinary. When you hear hooves, it's almost always a horse. But every now and then, it's a pack of zebras.

Cash

I actually agree with him there.
by PeteatND  (2019-02-04 09:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The applicable ref was about ten feet away, with a perfectly unobstructed view of the play, and failed to call two obvious penalties. No playoff caliber ref is that incompetent.

On the other hand, any grand conspiracy to get L.A. into the Super Bowl would be far too risky for the NFL to try to pull off. If that ever came out the NFL would be finished.

I tend to think the ref, in the heat of the moment, thought it was a bang-bang play (that was likely but not definitely interference), so he decided to swallow his flag to not be a deciding factor in the game. Unfortunately for him, it wasn't in any way a bang-bang call, so he unintentionally became THE deciding factor in the game. And will almost certainly never referee another significant moment in his career.

Yes, I think that the refs have tended to avoid making
by jt  (2019-02-04 11:01:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"controversial" calls in the last 5 minutes of the game so as not to become "the" story. The same thing happens in the NBA.

It's bothered me for years--if it is in the damn rulebook, it's there for a reason and it's there for the whole game, not just 90% of the game.

Maddening.

Yup... the refs are risk averse.
by bizdomer09  (2019-02-04 21:21:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's the biggest driver here. As you said their biggest fear is becoming the story of the game. Swallowing the whistle at the end of a playoff game (or not pulling the flag) in hockey, football, or basketball is usually the safest bet with that fear in mind. Obviously this strategy backfired epically in this case.

It would not have been the refs who “determined the outcome
by 1NDGal  (2019-02-04 12:53:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the game.” It would have been the moron who Mack-trucked a WR while a perfectly thrown ball was coming to him.

Rewarding that kind of desperate stupidity is never OK. And if you don’t want to feel responsible for the progress of a football game, don’t become a ref. Because well-deserved penalties cannot but affect the outcome of a game. Grow up.

Agreed.
by PeteatND  (2019-02-04 12:37:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're a professional referee because you're expected to enforce the rules with consistency, regardless of game situation.

I've seen the theory that this phenomenon extends even more deeply into college basketball, particularly during the NCAA tournament. Apparently the number of fouls called on each team is shockingly even during March; when one team accumulates a foul discrepancy, the stats seem to show that the refs will work pretty consistently to even the playing field - so as not to make refereeing the post-game "story".

As you said, it's fucking maddening.

I have never understood the ‘fouls should be evenly
by irishhawk49  (2019-02-04 13:12:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

distributed’ mind set of bb fans.

That's not considered human error?
by NDBass  (2019-02-04 10:42:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Making the decision you outlined is still a human error. It wouldn't have been made because the NFL wanted LA in the Super Bowl or he himself wanted LA in the Super Bowl. If that isn't human error, it is at worst the stupid refereeing symptom of not wanting to call a penalty/foul at the end of a game that they would've called at any other time during the game.

The conspiracy theories are where the gripes fly off the rails and lose any sort of sympathy one might have for the Saints. I have none, so I find the whole thing hilarious.

I guess it's semantics.
by PeteatND  (2019-02-04 12:28:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd say it wasn't so much an "error", as it was a manifestation of the horrible end-of-game ref'ing philosophy that seems to be endemic in professional sports.

I think we're all agreeing here, just stating it differently. I don't think it was corrupt, but I don't think it was just a simple "mistake", either.

I can dig it. *
by NDBass  (2019-02-04 12:35:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's a systemic problem
by jt  (2019-02-04 11:03:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

happens all the times in games--what is the rule for the first 55 minutes of the game changes in the last 5.

I get that and agree.
by NDBass  (2019-02-04 11:16:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It isn't a conspiracy or corruption, however.

agree. Close to incompetence
by jt  (2019-02-04 12:13:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and really more impotent than anything else.

Not buying what?
by pmcdnd96  (2019-02-03 22:57:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Warts and all, the Saints would have won the NFC Championship had the refs done their job on the simplest of calls.

Im not buying that premise
by NDFANOK57  (2019-02-03 23:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I explained, the way they choked away the Vikings game in 2018, and the way they gagged on a 13-0 lead at home, IM not buying they would have won the game vs the Rams, if the correct call was made..

Just curious, who's your NFL team? *
by Keenan4w  (2019-02-05 18:09:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't be absurd.
by PeteatND  (2019-02-04 09:58:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This wasn't a tough call in the 3rd quarter or something. Their win probability would've been ~99.5% if either of the obvious penalties on L.A. (interference or helmet-to-helmet) had been called.

A couple kneel-downs to center the football and run the clock, and you're looking at a ~20 yard field goal from the middle of the field. That's at least a 99.5% make for an NFL kicker. At least.

The F above is for “fist”. *
by Cash  (2019-02-03 23:32:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're not buying what?
by pmcdnd96  (2019-02-03 23:26:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had that penalty been called, the Saints could have knelt down a couple of times and kicked a 20 yard field goal. Are you saying you think they would have missed the winning FG?

I mean there was like a .0005% he misses it
by MAS  (2019-02-04 08:05:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So there was a chance. Biggest screw job I’ve ever seen. By a lot.