So Curly Lambeau leaves the ND campus because of health
by G.K.Chesterton (2019-02-04 16:52:31)

In reply to: blame Frank Leahy for the Patriots  posted by olson

reasons (I realize that may not be why he *permanently left) and goes on to win six (6) NFL titles. Chuck Noll leaves ND for health reasons and goes on to win four (4) NFL titles.

off the front page *
by olson  (2019-02-05 09:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

George Gipp died of strep throat *
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-02-05 22:40:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Technically, it was pneumonia related to strep throat. *
by ndlp  (2019-02-06 06:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One small addition
by D8NDomer  (2019-02-05 10:23:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you could say "the beloved Harry Baujan." While they still played on campus, their field was named for him. I played a CYO all-star game there during a miserably cold & wet December day. That was the end of football for me. No fun being a nose guard trying to stop a fullback 30 lbs. heavier at that age.

We love you Olson.

U of Dayton press claimed Baujan 'played for Rockne'
by olson  (2019-02-05 10:32:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baujan didn't play for Rockne...he played WITH Rockne in 1913..both were ends/Rockne was captain

and then Baujan played for Jesse Harper in '14-'16....albeit Rock was an assistant on those ND teams.

After HC Joe Gavin left Dayton, AD Baujan hired former ND player/coach Hugh Devore to replace him.

The books you could write; I see a thread from Rockne
by D8NDomer  (2019-02-05 10:57:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to Sean McVay through Harry, John McVay & Jon Gruden. Thanks for the link, very enlightening.

P.S. - on reflection: Baujan may have done this on purpose, but it was quite easy for neighborhood kids to sneak into Baujan Field & watch Dayton games for free. As I went to grade school just half a block from the UD campus I did this several times.

I didn't know Chuck Noll attended ND, thx. *
by discNDav  (2019-02-05 08:56:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post