Ole Miss
by HTownND (2019-02-12 10:11:14)

The latest team to vacate wins for using ineligible players.

I know it's shocking, the NCAA using the textbook punishment for using ineligible players.

They must be out to get Ole Miss.

Vacating wins is probably the most useless penalty.
by TWO  (2019-02-12 11:30:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Ole Miss was the only team to beat Alabama one year, I doubt if Bama now will tout that they were undefeated in 2014...oh wait it's Alabama they might...but seriously every fan knows they lost on the field ineligible players or not.

Same for the Irish in 2012..to me it's an undefeated regular season, one that I thoroughly enjoyed the ride and that OU win was one of the best in recent memory.

I think most fans feel that way. Take'm out of the record books sure, but we still saw what happened on the field.

Agree, but as to Alabama
by tf86  (2019-02-15 12:50:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The vacated win for Ole Miss doesn't also vacate Alabama's loss. But no doubt, they'll try to claim it as an undefeated season.

Damn the torpedoes! *
by ACross  (2019-02-13 21:31:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is silly.
by JWIrish  (2019-02-13 12:54:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many teams ever play a single game without at least one player who has done something that, if known, would render him ineligible?

What are the odds that the three Clemson players who failed the PED test were the only three on Clemson's (85 player?) roster who had that substance in their system? Twenty percent of the players randomly chosen failed. The chance that those three were the only three using it and just happened to all be among the 15 randomly chosen is slim to none. Same for 'Bama. So the rule requiring wins with ineligible players to be vacated means that in reality, Clemson's national championship is probably not legitimate.

It only hurts if youre dumb enough to keep your coach around
by DakotaDomer  (2019-02-12 12:35:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because their records in the media guide will look terrible.

We’re one of the few schools dumb enough

The loss still counts for Bama.
by 01momanor  (2019-02-12 12:18:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ole Miss doesn't get the win. Officially, Bama lost and nobody won.

When 'Bama loses, we all win *
by catripledomer  (2019-02-12 19:32:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree
by HTownND  (2019-02-12 12:01:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which made the angst about the penalty all the more confusing for me.

We got a wrist slap from the NCAA, and people went apoplectic about how it would be a deterrent to institutions and a violation of the role of a University, etc.

No, it's SOP wrist slapping from the NCAA that they enforce all of the time when a team uses ineligible players.

Criminal assistant coaches is still a-ok! *
by DakotaDomer  (2019-02-12 11:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along with Fake Classes *
by HTownND  (2019-02-12 11:19:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post