We have very little “full contact” in our practices and have
by jimmypop (2019-02-15 07:34:19)

In reply to: How much full contact in practice is necessary?  posted by TWO

Been fine over the years. No Full contact just means you aren’t tackling to the ground. You can still fit up, wrap up, and run your feet with good form at full speed and never bring a guy to the ground. Does it still happen on occasion? Yes. But you aren’t punishing kids to the ground repeatedly. You have to supplement situations where you may have to go low or wrap and roll with daily drills. Even with these restrictions, we haven’t seen a dip in our defense’s performance because we work on tackling daily and are still full speed and aggressive during team time. We just have our kids know the difference of how we tackle our own guys vs another team.

I think we need to define "full contact"
by HTownND  (2019-02-15 11:43:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because a lot of places would call what you do full contact, even if you don't take them to the ground.

I'm with you, if you are driving through the guy, moving your feet and wrapping up, that's 95% of it.

We called it the quick whistle.

But my understanding is that full pads and any contact at full speed (whether you finish the tackle or not) is limited, and they are pushing for more shells and less contact in scrimmage situations, and that the tackling is left to the dummies and defensive drills.

In TN coaches consider what jimmypop described as
by ThreeD  (2019-02-15 12:05:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

limited (i.e., not full) contact, even at full speed. I'm sure different places use different definitions and terms, but good luck getting uniformity.

Personally, I think the key injurious actions occur around the legs and knees that occurs with tackling to the ground or low block/leverage situations.

Of course there's the usual caveats about using one's head or going to another player's head; however those are actions that coaches are trying to eliminate anyway (not that they still don't happen).

My opinion, however, is that these policies serve to reduce the # of potential injurious plays but not change the nature of play. That is, injuries caused by contact will still happen.