shells and helmets daily
by jt (2019-02-18 14:35:55)

In reply to: JT played for him. He could add some insight. *  posted by jimmypop

we didn't tackle to the ground or cut block but in pre-season everything else was full go. Once the season starter it was a lot of running through plays at half speed and memorizing what the other team was going to try and do. Almost no hitting.

In my 3 years there we lost 4 games and played against 7 guys that went on to play in the NFL (a few of them for quite some time, including some guys from Lacrosse, WI).

John was way ahead of his time; almost everyone practices like that now. It was very attractive to me as I was coming off of a major shoulder injury and everywhere else was live contact, full pads Mon-Thursday and walk through Friday. Only guys that didn't have contact were the qb's; John had a famous quote, something along the lines of "why do the qb's avoid contact? Don't the other guys have moms that are worried about them too?"

Of course, knowing John he probably threw a few "shit, Christ" in there as well.

Replies: