I always enjoy Leon Hart stories.
by RocketShark (2019-03-06 02:14:42)

In reply to: also off the front page (link)  posted by olson

My two favorites, paraphrased because it's been a while since I've read them and can't even remember who to cite as a source (I'll guess Jack Connor or Bonifer/Weaver).

1. Equipment manager Blackjack McAllister was reportedly....ornery. If a player complained or asked for something he'd snap back, "what should it matter? You probably won't make the team anyway!" So Leon was given ill-fitting shoes. Either they were too tight or both were for left feet – I don't remember, but something crazy like that. Leon was afraid to tell McAllister about it so he learned to play in them.

2. Coach Leahy saw Leon after practice and asked how he felt. Leon said he was a little tired. Coach said he's obviously out of shape, take ten laps. The next time Leahy asks him again how he feels. "Great coach!" Well obviously he wasn't trying hard enough in practice. Take ten laps. A third time after practice Leahy asks Leon how he feels. Leon paused and then asked, "how do you want me to feel, coach?" No laps were required.

I sometimes work with a guy who years ago worked with Leon Hart to produce the video highlights for the 1946-1949 seasons. He said Hart was great and the experience was a lot of fun. I can imagine.

Replies: