about Alan Ameche's ND recruiting visit
by olson (2019-03-06 14:24:24)
Edited on 2019-03-20 11:30:02

In reply to: Ameche was just voted a top-10 Wisc. HS athlete of all-time.  posted by G.K.Chesterton

I can't open the linked story of Ameche-so I'm not sure if the following is mentioned(though I kind of doubt it).....

On Alan Ameche's recruiting visit to ND, he was assigned to ND fullback Neil Worden.....Worden not only played the same position as Ameche- Neil was also from Wisconsin (Milwaukee Pulaski HS),

Things seemed to be lining up nicely for ND regarding Ameche. His mom reportedly wanted ND, so did his HS girlfriend(liking the 'all male' aspect of ND in particular), famous cousin actor Don Ameche had put in a good word for ND, and volunteer ND assistant coach Fred Miller(of Miller Brewing fame in Wisconsin) was involved...even personally flying Ameche for a ND visit...his HS coach (though claiming to be neutral) was an ND QB for Rockne.

However, while Worden was showing Ameche around the ND campus, Neil was apparently telling his HS star Wisconsin guest NOT to come to Notre Dame.

For the remainder of Worden's ND career, his Irish teammates kidded Neil that he had sabotaged the recruitment of Ameche because Worden didn't want the competition.

In reality, Worden was pissed at Leahy at that particular moment.

It seems that Leahy, in one of his usual off hand comments to light a fire under a player (re Worden), was quoted in the newspaper as expecting fullback Fidel Gander (Chicago Mt Carmel) to beat out Worden for the starting FB job....at that moment, Worden wasn't even sure he wanted to stay at ND.

This is not to say that Worden's actions were the deciding factor in Ameche rejection of the Irish-but it didn't help either.

Leahy won the battle-lost the war.

The battle: Worden led the Irish in rushing as a soph & again as a senior-out rushing his backfield teammate Johnny Lattner-who won the Heisman that year even though he didn't even lead the Irish in rushing.

The 'recruiting' war: Ameche won his own Heisman-at Wisconsin.

Replies: