Another dumb NFL question...regarding A Brown trade
by fourputtmd (2019-03-10 12:24:30)

If a guy like Antonio Brown is only worth a 3rd and a 5th (remember golden Tate fetched a third)

How in the hell does Oakland give him a raise at 50m/3 years.

He's always been nuts
by Groundhog  (2019-03-12 01:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He went off the rails after the Beckham contract extension.

Because Steelers gave away all leverage
by btd  (2019-03-10 19:39:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1) They made it clear he was out no matter what -- so can't walk away from the table

2) They made it clear they wanted it done before his 2.5 million roster bonus was due

Then on top of that he is considered a very high risk player in the mold of T Owens.

Would someone explain how the salary cap dead money works
by Hometown fan  (2019-03-11 13:30:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are the Steelers taking a cap hit because of bonus money they paid AB or what?

Yes to the bonus money.
by dfw  (2019-03-11 15:23:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The contract he signed 2 years ago had $19mil bonus which is spread over 5 years and then they re-did his contract last year to make ~$13mil into a bonus instead of normal salary spreading that cap hit over 4 years.

So 1st bonus - $19/5 = $3.8 mil per year left on contract and 2nd = $13/4 = 3.25 mil per year left.

By trading him now and pulling him off their books for the next 3 years, they need to pull all of that bonus money forward.

$3.8x3 + $3.25x3 = $21.15mil of dead money.

The $13mil is a bit off, but that's how you get the dead money.

Football is just dumb if you want to make money.
by Wooderson  (2019-03-11 22:57:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jeff Szamardizja (sic) will walk away with over $100mm without ever having to run a crossing route in the NFL.

Kyler Murray is foolish to go for the NFL.

Murray will make more in the NFL most likely.
by dfw  (2019-03-12 12:57:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is an outfielder, not a pitcher and wasn't can't miss, so probably would take multiple years to get to majors. He is probably going to be the #1 pick and in 4 years get a second deal (because the Cards are idiots) which would put him in the $100mil+ zip code.

If he were a WR and a pitcher, MLB would probably be better, but not as QB and outfielder.

There are two questions there.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-03-10 14:32:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Q: Why did the Steelers settle for only a 3rd and a 5th?
A: They were getting rid of a headache and salary. Also, because AB forced their hand, their negotiating position was weakened. Remember, only three teams were apparently interested in him. Note, they will still have $21 million in salary cap in 2019 devoted to AB.

Q: Why or how did Brown get $30M in guaranteed money out of this from the Raiders?
A: I don't know but I have a rule about eBay which applies here and certainly applies to the Raiders past: there is no law against over-paying.

Remember also that this deal is not official until later this week and either party could walk away from it.

I don't really think AB had the leverage
by HScorpio  (2019-03-10 17:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen this said by several analysts after the trade. I know you are saying something different, namely that AB forced the Steelers to trade him. That is true, and I don't disagree. However, I don't understand why so few teams were interested, unless in their due diligence they found that he was too much of a locker room problem. He seemed to be fine for his first ~8 years or so.

This isn't like the situations in the NBA with Anthony Davis or Kawhi Leonard where they only had/have 1 year left before free agency. In that case, no team is going to trade for them unless they get an agreement from the player that they will re-sign. This obviously limits potential trading partners.

Brown is still under contract for 3 more years. Trade him to the Bills, Browns, Dolphins, Cards, whoever. Is he really going to holdout and not get paid for a year? 2 years? I doubt it.

He was never fine at any point per x Steelers. It also is
by btd  (2019-03-10 19:43:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not a coincidence that the Steelers didn't win a title with him, but did without him (same for Bell). Clark, former safety, said he was a nightmare from day one and said the instant they paid him his second contract he was totally out of control.

There were only three teams because a) not all teams need a WR, b) He's 18 million per year and not all teams have that money, c) he is an EXTREME locker room problem.

Top it off that there were multiple games where he walked off the field during the game -- not just the final game this year. He was a huge problem for the Steelers too when Ben was injured and the backup couldn't perform at the same level as Ben. Brown made it 2x as hard to win with a backup QB.

I think the correct term is that he's a head case.
by SWPaDem  (2019-03-10 17:48:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a great talent, but he's extremely immature, and the Steelers did nothing to reign him in - and then it was too late.

Facebook Live from the locker room, anyone? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-03-10 21:05:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post