NFL: New replay rule.
by TWO (2019-03-27 10:56:58)

I wonder if this will end up being a careful what you wish for situation or will it be good for the game and a big positive.

As a fan who gets to watch replay, and from different angles and all that you definitely get riled up when you see a missed call on your team, esp when it's a call that impacts the win/loss. So this makes a lot of sense to me, but then there is the calls that are let go in the spirit of let them play..when that "let them play" non-call goes for your team it's great..but are those going to be taken away?

Are we going to end up with more pass interference? I do like the ability of the coach to challenge the call though, obviously like other challenges you have to pick your spots. I just not sure I want every non-call or call reviewed.

For at least the 2019 season, pass interference -- both offensive and defensive -- will be reviewable. They are the first penalties in the history of the league's replay system to be added to the list of approved reviews. And for the first time, coaches will be able to challenge non-calls for pass interference.

The replay booth, in conjunction with the league's officiating office in New York, will initiate those challenges in the final two minutes of each half. Coaches will still be limited to two challenges per game, with a third awarded if they are successful on the first two.

Why not just stop every the game every play and have a crack
by 84david  (2019-03-28 16:27:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

team of replay officials look for infractions on both sides of the ball?

Then the games could be 6 hours long and get in many many more bud light commercials.

Or run a rolling review process, and, if you find something,
by ndzippy  (2019-03-29 12:23:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stop the game and reset from the infraction point.

"It has been determined that there was pass interference on a play in the second quarter. The last two scores will be wiped clean, and we'll re-start the game with 1st & 10 for the Vikings at the San Diego 37. Please reset the game clock to 4:02 in the second quarter. Oh, and we'll have to do another halftime, but we'll cut it in half to keep things moving along."

Dilly dilly! *
by 1NDGal  (2019-03-28 16:36:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it is going to be a disaster
by BmoreIrish  (2019-03-28 10:08:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you slow down most long pass plays you are find PI on either the offensive or defensive players most of the time if you want to. It is such a big penalty that referees are rightly cautious to call it. They are just going to add replay debate to what are subjective calls.

They need to put strict limits on this or it could really slow the game to a halt.

And if it’s on the tape, you have to call it.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-03-29 07:57:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No more gray areas. No more “play on.” Because it’s the rule, dammit!

The issue with most PI call is they are judgmental
by Doggie  (2019-03-27 20:39:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't imagine a PI call will be challenged by a coach. How does a ref decide there was no PI when it was called? And I would bet that PI non-calls will rarely be challenged by coaches since it is so judgmental. The "call on the field" will undoubtedly prevail.

This is strictly a rule put in place as a PR ploy because of a once in a generation embarrassment. Funny thing is I remember discussing that play with folks at the time who thought the non-call was absolutely correct-- that "the ball wasn't catch-able so how could there be PI" kind of stuff.

This is going to be wildly controversial.
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-03-27 15:37:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Way way way more controversial than the botched non-call against the Saints was.

I'm not even sure this will make it through next season.

that assumes no change in player behavior *
by airborneirish  (2019-03-28 23:20:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't follow *
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-03-29 16:35:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's been fine in the CFL. *
by cm_4_nd  (2019-03-28 19:58:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah the problem becomes how literal the refs feel they have
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-03-28 09:31:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be when reviewing a non-PI call. The college basketball replay rule shows some of the downside of this. Many times in these late game situations you'll see some contact on a loose ball or rebound attempt where the refs will decide to just award the ball to the team that was fouled instead of calling the foul. Then they go to the replay and see that the ball actually last touched the finger tip of the team they awarded the ball to. Of course the replay also shows the foul they let slide but there's nothing they can do about that. Sometimes these subjective plays require a human who is skilled at determining what the fair outcome should be, a rule like this risks losing that.

It will be a sh!tshow of replays. Post game videos of
by Inigomontoya  (2019-03-27 21:29:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

inconsistencies. I cannot believe they think this is a good idea on judgement calls. He put his hand on his jersey....and there it is...you can see the index finger grasp the jersey...right there...!!!

Oh wait... that was done by the receiver..... a second before the corner brushed the receivers facemask with his forearm.

They don’t realize what they have done.

It will be controversial, but it will survive
by garbageplate  (2019-03-27 18:26:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Replay is like government entitlement programs: it only expands and it can never be reversed.

Next up: replay for holding.
by PWK2  (2019-03-27 14:40:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All game, not just in the final minute. After all, we have to get the call right. Unlimited challenges.

Prepare for eight hours of ref conferences interrupted by the occasional play.

I've long advocated for more replay
by garbageplate  (2019-03-27 14:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the form of full jury trials after every play. Nothing is more important than getting it right.

Thirded. Two blown calls is collusion and ends in execution *
by Irish72  (2019-03-27 18:20:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob Mueller IS free now. *
by PWK2  (2019-03-28 14:30:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we thought games were long now. Yikes! *
by Swpadem  (2019-03-29 15:01:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That may be worse than the current system
by nyirish08  (2019-03-27 12:01:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I realize a game or two were totally blown last year on this, but come on. Fewer penalties get called inside the final few minutes of most sports, especially in two minute drills and whatever. Everybody knows this.
Having a challenge possible on a hail mary or similar seems like a terrible idea. Who knows, maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds.

I think it’s a terrible idea. Handfighting by receivers
by inigomontoya  (2019-03-27 12:27:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is part of the game, bumping receivers is part of the game. Now teams will plan around creating contact for big gains whenever they are trailing by x points in the second half.

From what I’ve read coaches still can’t challenge in last 2 minutes...but then are teams going to be burning timeouts late in games in hopes some ref in a booth/New York parses through replays to find contract down field or a hold on plays?

As they say, holding can be called on pretty much every single play.

This is going to be ridiculous. More timeouts, more people screaming about inconsistencies on contact/handfighting—he touched him first...see there! Right there! They didn’t call it last time??? Now they are???

This change is going to make people fans, coaches, players completely crazy.

Hopefully preseason will expose the stupidity
by SixShutouts66  (2019-03-27 14:44:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of a knee jerk reaction to a missed call in a very important game. Coaches will routinely challenge long touchdowns for any infraction (holding, PI, lining up wrong,etc.) even if it has little or nothing to do with the play's result. As you say, there is a huge difference between what's being called a foul throughout the game and what a strict interpretation of the rule book says.