Packers beat writer: Kizer will lose backup QB job.
by G.K.Chesterton (2019-04-02 11:55:13)

Lengthy article at link if you want the nitty-gritty, but here is how the piece ends:

Kizer has arm talent and great size (6-feet-4, 235 pounds), and he’s actually 15 months younger (23) than Boyle (24). But his inability to win even one game in 15 starts with Cleveland two years ago, along with his 4-8 record in his final season at Notre Dame suggest something is missing.

He did nothing to dispel that in the two games he played after Rodgers left with injuries. He put up a 40.5 rating, threw two especially careless interceptions and was sacked four times, including one in which Chicago's Khalil Mack simply ripped the ball from his hands.

“That’s what it’s all about, right?” Gutekunst said of Kizer’s winless record. “They have to play, they have to progress, and at some point he has to cross that threshold. Like I said, he’s putting the time in. We certainly like the skill set. We’ll see how it goes.”

Said LaFleur: "There’s some things that we’re going to work on to clean up from a balance standpoint and from a footwork standpoint. I know he’s working hard right now, he’s out in California working with a guy I’ve had experience working with, Adam Dedeaux, just working on those fundamentals that are critical to effective quarterback play."

Both backup quarterbacks have a new start with LaFleur, whose background is coaching their position. He will make the call.

Kizer has the name and pedigree, but I’d bet on Boyle to be the No. 2.

Replies: