Anyone know the story behind the tech in their app?
by KeoughCharles05 (2019-04-02 18:09:29)

In reply to: AAF has shut down after only 8 weeks. Bill Polian and  posted by 1NDGal

One of the more attractive things about the league was the technology it developed with its app. It allowed for faster real-time technology to reach consumers and also tracked multiple biometric data points. The hope was that other leagues would see the technology and express interest in using it.

"I think what we're building on the tech side will change sports," Ebersol said in January. "If this company has a chance to survive, if the football is good enough that this has a runway where people are engaged, it will change sports."

At the time, Ebersol said he viewed his business as "a tech company that owns a football league."

From what I’ve heard, the tech most were interested in
by golfjunkie17  (2019-04-04 12:50:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was not the league’s website, but some sort of real-time wagering app. The betting app being developed and tested in the league was considered the most interesting aspect of the league to many investors. I don’t know all the details other than what I’ve overheard on a radio show or two while in the car, but it seems that the league thought the NFL (or maybe NFLPA) would become a partner due to interest in developing a real-time betting app.

I think this was an attempt to get funding
by ShillelaghHugger  (2019-04-04 12:49:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sounded like a Silicon Valley pitch.

Didn't try the app, but the tech they used on the website
by cm_4_nd  (2019-04-02 22:57:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was awful. They tacked the 'live' video feed on top of the play-by-play, but it was often out of sync....the text would appear before the play happened on video, removing any 'excitement'. I wanted to watch Folston, but gave up because the UI was pathetic.

All tech aside, the quality of football was a significant drop off from the NFL and CFL. The owners deserved this fate. They thought they could make money by piggybacking on the NFL. They didn't deliver on quality - and how could they? The gap between NFL players and the average AAF player is huge. They needed to allow late hits, or facemasks, or hell, let someone carry a cattle prod. Give the audience some entertainment value if they are going to sit through a sub-par football game.

It was much closer to Independent Baseball -> MLB than AAA -> MLB. At least minor league baseball is built around entertainment.