60yrs ago-Spring Semester=ND drops the Physical Ed major
by olson (2019-04-08 12:23:36)
Edited on 2019-04-08 12:27:26

from a 1959 Notre Dame Scholastic (linked scroll to page 7)

"UNFORTUNATE DEMISE:
At a meeting of the University's Academic Council last spring(1959) the decision was made to drop the A.B. school's time-honored program for physical education majors. The reason for the removal of such a program has been dropping steadily in the past few years.

This year the last freshman class was admitted to the program. Its number: twelve students. Certainly the A.B. College could not be asked to continue such a specialized program when it cannot be conducted on a reasonably sound financial basis.

It is most unfortunate, however, that a good program of education for both mind and body, in the classical sense, has to be abandoned. What is even more pitiful is the fact that today' potential physical education instructors prefer to go to local normal schools where they do not have to meet such strict academic requirements."

When was physical education dropped as a requirement
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-04-08 13:56:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for freshman?

Here are some ND phys. ed. stories from 1965/66 (link)
by Walsh69  (2019-04-10 10:22:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Freshman PE was a real hoot.
by BeijingIrish  (2019-04-09 13:50:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The year was divided into quarters, and you pursued a different sport each quarter. My sequence was soccer, wrestling, gymnastics, and handball. Soccer was fun because it was outside. Wrestling was awful--we paired up on the basis of size/weight. I had a bruiser who had wrestled in hs, and he was about 20 lbs heavier than I was. I spent the quarter being thrown all over the place. Gymnastics was a total joke. A nutsack-crushing joke.

Handball was fun, and I played handball for the rest of my time at ND. I played handball during the years I lived in Chicago in the early 80's and was a member of the CAA. It had the only handball courts I knew about.

It was a 3-hr, non-credit course which meant that you had an 18 hr load in your freshman year. Attendance was mandatory as were all classes. I'm sure they have modified the rule, but 3+ absences = F in those days.

I never passed PE. I made 200 yard for the 20 minute run.
by ODSCHOOL  (2019-04-13 21:14:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I walked from the Main Gate to the Pay Caf, got a chocolate malt, and walked back to the main gate. O'Sullivan busted my balls for not lying. I refused to do a twenty minute run . I knew I would hurt myself. I offered to do a 5 mile swim, but they (Noel) wouldn't accept it. After the season was over I never went back to gym. Senior year I went to see Dean Waddick to get my schedule signed. I told him I needed to pass gym. He laughed and told me that he had never made a Senior take gym.

Coach Stark, while one of the great men at ND and a marine, was loathe to fight any sort of power.

Social Dance
by 11thfloorgrace  (2019-04-10 09:57:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was the only PE (or ND) class guaranteed to have 50/50 males/females. Good times

We had a similar experience.
by 84david  (2019-04-10 08:28:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What was funny is that we had several football/basketball players in my PE class and during the swim test the way they thrashed about the water as if sharks were nipping at their heels was comical.

Handball was great and I still prefer it to racquetball.

The best was G-O-L-F.

G-O-L-F made my day better every time *
by jreednd  (2019-04-17 14:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A few years after your tenure, they had three rotations...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-04-09 18:27:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...per semester. I did the required swimming, then ice skating twice for fall semester; then handball, because that was our dorm's nickname for the rector, and two successive rotations of golf. "Full swings, gentlemen--full swings!" (Noel O'Sullivan.)

If I remember my rotations correctly...
by El Kabong  (2019-04-10 13:51:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...there were two in the fall and three in the spring.

I remember doing volleyball first (sprained my ankle a week in) followed by fencing, then in spring I did advanced fencing, social dance, and weight training.

Yes, it was two then three when we were freshmen
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-04-10 18:54:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A nice bonus was getting to do the rotations with the varsity coaches from some sports.

I think I did racquetball, fencing with Yves Auriiol, social dance, the beautiful game of G-O-L-F with Noel O’Sullivan, and tennis with Bob Bayless.

Yves did both my fencing rotations *
by El Kabong  (2019-04-10 21:53:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yves Auriol is the King of Life, full stop.
by 1NDGal  (2019-04-20 17:28:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watched him on attack against an Olympic medal winner. It was like Yoda vs. Jabba. An absolute master.

Swimming was only required if you flunked the swimming test.
by Manor76  (2019-04-09 19:58:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which I did.

Flunked it, but begged for and passed the retake
by charlottend  (2019-04-12 22:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something about a sore shoulder from weight lifting, which was true, but 4 hours of sleep and a crushing hangover had way more to do with it.

I almost failed the swim test
by GoDomers  (2019-04-09 20:58:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mind you I was captain of the my high school swimming team, and seriously considered swimming for Notre Dame, but ultimately decided against. Yet somehow Br. Louis did not like this way I swam side stroke or some such nonsense.

Yep, I failed it due to poor backstroke form.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-04-10 14:15:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I then spent a semester swimming laps while the rest of the class wore floaties.

I passed with "the most borderline backstroke ever at ND" *
by garbageplate  (2019-04-10 14:25:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We heard stories about champion swimmers not
by rick  (2019-04-10 08:42:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

getting high scores on the swim test. Rumor was they graded it on a curve. They had a certain number of spots for the swim class to fill.

The rotations I can recall doing were volleyball, soccer, ..
by Rocksteady74  (2019-04-09 19:42:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... skating, circuit training, tennis and handball.

They all were fine, if a bit of a pain to do.

I believe the current seniors are the first class that
by rick  (2019-04-08 14:52:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

didn't have to take PE. I know they are the first class that didn't have to take the swim test.

when did they stop taking the swim test naked?
by quasimodo  (2019-04-08 17:09:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, not a joke.

Q

Before 1972 *
by 76AlumND  (2019-04-09 09:43:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had it in 1971 *
by Rosecrea  (2019-04-13 18:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When Fat Eddie left ND *
by ronniewoo  (2019-04-08 17:30:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, Fat Eddie "sized" me up for a Speedo for the swim test
by domer4  (2019-04-08 17:52:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From his cage in the Rock shower room in 1981.

I saw him every day at swim practice. I swam the first year
by ODSCHOOL  (2019-04-13 21:07:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

freshman were eligible for varsity. Before the first rip the Captain and stark told me I had to stay in the same roomwith Eddie and the Bus Driver on roadtrips. I told them I quit and skipped practice the next day.

So strong was his lust that he had to be caged. *
by PWK2  (2019-04-09 14:26:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post