Jeff Brohm gets a new, better contract in Purdue.
by G.K.Chesterton (2019-04-12 15:13:43)

I thought he was already there through 2024 but Purdue has sweetened the pot. Blowing the doors off the Buckeyes last fall didn't hurt.

I guess they burned the tape of the Music City Bowl..
by TWO  (2019-04-12 16:37:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and went with the tape of the Ohio State game.

I see that he's taking care of his dad who is set to make 230K as "Chief of Staff".

Greg is the oldest brother who is the CoS. Oscar is his dad
by irishintheville  (2019-04-15 14:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and he's not on the coaching staff.

Wow! 63-14 loss to a mediocre Auburn team
by Irish Warrior  (2019-04-14 11:19:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I forgot about that too. And apparently it was 56-7 at halftime. Perhaps they watched the second half 7-7 tie. This feels like a Charlie Weis type contract, especially considering Purdue had a losing, 6-7, record last season.

It's Purdue.
by John@Indy  (2019-04-15 09:47:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their on field performance, attendance, and recruiting lagged under Danny Hope and cratered under Darrell Hazell. They had only two bowl bids in the nine seasons before Brohm arrived. 13-13 with two bowls and the huge OSU win looks more impressive in that context. More importantly, Brohm is well-regarded and coveted by more prominent programs, and Purdue almost certainly would have lost him by now if they had been tight with a buck.

His record isn't impressive yet, but unfortunately (from my perspective as an IU undergrad alum) I think it's money well-spent.

He is/will be the 9th highest paid coach in college football
by Irish Warrior  (2019-04-20 12:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and 11th highest paid in college sports. If my math is correct, he'd be making $5.8 million/year through 2025. That puts him in some pretty lofty competition for beating Ohio State and winning a meaningless bowl game against Arizona. In that time he's also lost to Eastern Michigan and Rutgers. Maybe Purdue is upping their profile, if so, they'd be better served throwing that money around to some of the guys below that mark that have accomplished stuff beyond coaching at Western Kentucky. Shit, Kelly's a better option than Brohm right.

Don't get me wrong.
by John@Indy  (2019-04-21 20:06:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My undergrad degree is from IU. I desperately hope he's a fraud and I agree he hasn't done all that much on the field yet. But I think Purdue, which saw its football revenue crater under Hope and Hazell, believes it has found a guy who is a really good coach and who wants to be at Purdue. They can't just grab one of the guys who makes $3 million a year because those coaches don't necessarily want to be at Purdue. Purdue would much rather pay Brohm, even overpay him, than start over with the MAC flavor of the month and start drawing 30k a game again.

Brohm is really well-regarded in the profession, Purdue fans love him, he's recruiting really well, and he's in the West division. If they weren't paying him so much, he probably would be at Tennessee or Louisville. Basically, Purdue is gambling 2 or 3 percent of its athletic budget that it has found a coach who can transform the program. I think it's a wise gamble.

Texas, Nebraska, FSU, Penn State, Oklahoma, Miami & Tenn
by Irish Warrior  (2019-04-24 11:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's only a few of the schools paying their coaches less than what Purdue is throwing at Brohm. If the coaches at those schools aren't jumping at what Purdue's offering, there's a reason why. I understand not wanting to pick a flavor of the month MAC guy, but isn't that what they're doing with Brohm? I realize U of L wanted him badly and was willing to pay to get him, but man, Pat Fitzgerald and NW won that division??? With Scott Frost at Nebraska, and Wisconsin in that Division, the chances of Purdue being able to compete, even with Brohm there (the highest paid in that division), aren't likely. And if Purdue's to get their money's worth, he should win that Division next year and if not, be shown the door. The 2021 season is then beyond the point of no return and they're stuck with whatever he gives them. For their sake, they better hope he delivers or he becomes an albatross.

Purdue's talent should be much better in next few years
by jbrown_9999  (2019-04-27 09:53:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since their recruiting has been upgraded from the previous regimes.

Brohm's last two classes have added more 4 stars (five) than they recruited from 2009 to 2017 (three). They have also stopped recruiting two star talent unlike the pre-Brohm years

2019 25th class 4 four stars
2018 51st class 1 four star

2017 72nd class 0 four stars (transition year)

2016 80th class 0 four stars
2015 67th class 0 four stars
2014 70th class 0 four stars
2013 61st class 1 four star
2012 49th class 2 four stars
2011 75th class 0 four stars
2010 53th class 0 four stars
2009 71st class 0 four stars

He has improved both attendance and recruiting
by jbrown_9999  (2019-04-14 14:16:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Financially, Brohm has probably added around $5 to $10 million a year to Purdue's football-related revenue by increasing attendance by 10,000 more fans per game. In doing so, he has covered his own salary.

Recruiting for Purdue has improved from around the 75th class in 2017, to 50th in 2018, and 25th in 2019.

So in terms of impact on the program, Brohm has probably done more for Purdue after two years than Weis had done for ND when Kevin White gave Charlie his 10 year deal.

Wait. People pay to go to Purdue games? Who'd a thunk *
by 88_92WSND  (2019-04-17 08:24:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

WTF is a football Chief of Staff? *
by golfjunkie17  (2019-04-12 20:07:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post