Don't get me wrong.
by John@Indy (2019-04-21 20:06:13)
Edited on 2019-04-21 20:07:18

In reply to: He is/will be the 9th highest paid coach in college football  posted by Irish Warrior

My undergrad degree is from IU. I desperately hope he's a fraud and I agree he hasn't done all that much on the field yet. But I think Purdue, which saw its football revenue crater under Hope and Hazell, believes it has found a guy who is a really good coach and who wants to be at Purdue. They can't just grab one of the guys who makes $3 million a year because those coaches don't necessarily want to be at Purdue. Purdue would much rather pay Brohm, even overpay him, than start over with the MAC flavor of the month and start drawing 30k a game again.

Brohm is really well-regarded in the profession, Purdue fans love him, he's recruiting really well, and he's in the West division. If they weren't paying him so much, he probably would be at Tennessee or Louisville. Basically, Purdue is gambling 2 or 3 percent of its athletic budget that it has found a coach who can transform the program. I think it's a wise gamble.