10-year, $93-million extension for Dabo
by ryND (2019-04-26 12:44:39)

The Clemson Board of Trustees Compensation Committee approved a 10-year, $93-million deal for Swinney on Friday morning. Swinney holds the largest contract in college football history, eclipsing the eight-year, $74-million deal Alabama awarded Nick Saban last y

That is a lot live bait and fireworks that Dabo can now buy *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-04-27 18:16:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The AD also got a new deal, though nothing like DAbo. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-04-27 14:43:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't care if you make that and more for the university
by fourputtmd  (2019-04-26 13:52:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Colleges are not professional sports. The majority are state schools. Making more than most NFL coaches

Very sick in my opinion.

Blow up the whole damn thing...the two money making college sports men's basketball and football are a cesspool...

So the state school athletic department should throw $ away?
by DakotaDomer  (2019-04-27 08:54:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You don’t care that someone raises far more money for amateur athletics than they cost to keep on the payroll. I assume you don’t care that they also raise far more money marginally compared to a lower priced replacement. In your analysis it would be better if the state run school/athletic department abandoned fiduciary responsibility and hired someone cheaper with a lower ROI.

What’s very sick about having a fully functional and financed athletic department? What’s wrong with hiring leaders that will advance the careers of scholarship student athletes?

The problem is the current system comes with baggage,
by steez_nutz  (2019-04-27 14:54:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

whether it be good ol' academic shenanigans (unc & pretty much everyone) or outright criminality (penn state, baylor, michigan state, etc). Football and men's basketball are effectively professional sports that are operated by the schools through the loose confederations of the conferences, with the NCAA lacking the ability to really police the things that matter. In short, it's a shitshow, and there really aren't any meaningful repercussions for bad actors.

I thought that way a while ago
by fourputtmd  (2019-04-27 09:43:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You gotta spend money to make money....football pays for everything else...etc.

In my analysis if a school can pay 93 million/10years million to a head coach, they can pay their players 100K/year. Even the highest ranked prospects for Clemson will probably never come close to that in NFL earnings.

Unfortunately, most colleges cannot afford that.

I don't think state schools should hire someone cheaper, I think they should disband college football and basketball unless they are able to pay their players

In your last sentence, I assume you mean hiring leaders that will advance the careers of scholarship student athletes in sports other than mens CBB or CFB right?

The paying players argument is completely different
by DakotaDomer  (2019-04-27 10:03:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And has nothing to do with whether or not a program should pay for a great coach.

If you want to say it’s sick that programs make millions off the backs of players and pay them nothing...then say that.

I probably should have made that clearer initially *
by fourputtmd  (2019-04-27 10:41:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it’s a public school too
by DBCooper  (2019-04-27 07:22:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe if the governor was making $5 million a year you would get some better people running some states.

Clemson costs me 40k per year for daughter. And...
by Btd  (2019-04-26 22:48:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve learned a lot via the experience is sending her there. Suffice to say it is unbelievable the gap between the model ND has compared to state schools. So many things I took for granted at ND as being normal for anyone going to college aren’t normal at all.

The only bright side is clemson accepted every single one of my daughters AP high school classes so she will graduate in 2.5 years. She absolutely hates the place in terms of how it is run ranging from campus life to their academics.

So, I’m soo excited they are paying 9 million plus per year to their coach. Edit: she does love their football - but she hates their schedule. They play 10 high school teams per year.

Out of state, right?
by fontoknow  (2019-04-28 08:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems relatively similar to other publics.

Yep. I imagine it is similar to many states
by btd  (2019-04-29 21:41:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was an eye opener for me to go on tours with her before she selected Clemson and to now go through the Clemson experience. As I said in the opening post -- I made a lot of false assumptions on things ND did as being standard at any school. Not even remotely close to being true.

I'll get another state school to compare to soon. Daughter two starts at Florida State in June. This time as in state tuition though. FSU couldn't understand why I asked questions like this during the admitted student tour:

1) Do your dorms have mold growing all over the walls?
2) Do you have working elevators in your dorms?
3) Do you have working air conditioning in your dorms (Clemson and SC are southern weather schools -- not like ND)
4) Do you actually feed kids on the weekend or do you close the dining halls for each weekend but make me pay for it anyway?

We chose College of Charleston for my daughter
by LeLuni  (2019-04-27 00:01:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The merit scholarship offer from Clemson was literally laugh-out-loud funny, while CofC came through with 80% of tuition. Add the state sponsored merit scholarship and it's well under 10k out of pocket... a fantastic deal. And hey, it's Charleston.

The football success of Clemson has increased demand to the point that they don't even try to incentivize kids to attend. It's unfortunate since my daughter kind of wanted the whole rah-rah experience, but at the same time, the place really doesn't have much character as far as colleges go.

She has a 7.5k annual scholarship
by Btd  (2019-04-27 15:13:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the remainder is still 40k per year. The real “scholarship” there is they accepted all the high school AP classes and effectively cut one full year out of the equation. That’s 40k less I have to spend there. ND level schools would not accept most of those AP classes - because you need a 5 not a 3 or 4 for ND and also in general they accept less because the average student also takes those classes.

It’s been a fight every day there though. Dorms with broken elevators. Dorms with no air conditioning, rooms with black mold all over the walls, etc. Freshman must buy a 7 day per week meal plan. Clemson closes the dining halls on weekends though. Imagine that. No freaking food on weekends - but you have to pay for it!

They go out of their way to prevent taking required classes on time. Anything and everything to try and force you into going longer to graduate. Constant fights to get into classes needed to graduate on time.

Different experience
by jbrown_9999  (2019-04-28 10:52:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For what it is worth, my friend's daughter went to Clemson, graduated in 4 years with engineering degree, had great internships, got hired by Deloitte, and is very happy with her choice. Not sure about her living arrangements all four years but she lived in a campus apartment for at least one year and really liked it. Saw the apartment when we went there for the ND game.

Some of your daughter's issue may have been due to seniors and juniors getting priority for classes ahead of her due to Clemson not recognizing her academic status as being 1.5 years ahead of a normal student. My son ran into that at a different state school since he entered with a year's worth of credits due to AP classes.

How long ago? Clemson's top issue is the transition they
by btd  (2019-04-29 21:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are attempting to make over a five year period. They have torn down dorms, the campus equivalent of Lafortune, one dining hall, etc. -- and have multi year gaps where the replacements aren't open. Anyone going there during that period just lives without.

The excuse for the dorms (two different dorms FR and SO year -- progressively worse) are they are being torn down so all repairs, maintenance and improvements have been canceled.

They don't meet ADA legal requirements for most dorms. Their solution is if you are handicapped or get injured (e.g., break a leg) they move you into a dorm that does have an elevator.

My sense is Clemson is/was a commuter school whereby campus is designed for about 10% of the student population to live on campus. They aim now to convert that to about 60% on campus -- guaranteed for FR and SO and a portion of Juniors. Anyone going there 2017-2021 will be caught in a massive transition period.

You likely are right about classes -- but that's an institutional failure and a fundamental flaw in tracking of her status. One system shows her as a 2nd semester Junior right now and others show her as a SO. Their graduation advisers refuse to process her requests because of her age -- she's 20. They pay zero attention to academic status. That took legal threats from me to resolve that issue. Literally to get them to push a button on a program that confirms you have met the requirements to graduate if you take the presently scheduled courses (they register for the next semester literally a few weeks into a current semester -- also select dorms for the following year 8 weeks into the current year).

Who cares? We have Kelly. Lucky us. *
by MNG  (2019-04-26 13:18:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, Kelly 12 yrs 122 million extension? *
by ryND  (2019-04-26 13:22:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm ok with that as long as it's paid in pesos *
by abqgant  (2019-04-27 17:15:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The good news is, he won't be replacing Saban *
by sprack  (2019-04-26 13:01:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But definitely don’t pay the players *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-04-26 12:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post