Bowl game at Fenway beginning in 2020
by tf86 (2019-04-30 12:19:48)
Edited on 2019-04-30 12:21:13

SIAP. I checked the first page here and at RH and didn't see it on either. The bowl game will match an ACC rep against a team from the AAC. With new bowl games also opening in Los Angeles and Myrtle Beach in 2020, that will bring the number of bowl games to 44, with 86 bowl-bound teams (out of 130 total in FBS) each year.

The new bowl in LA will be Pac-12 vs Mountain West
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-05-05 16:31:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at the new Rams/Chargers stadium, which also will host the CFP championship in January 2023. The Las Vegas Bowl, once it moves to the Raiders' new stadium, will be Pac-12 vs. SEC.

Brilliant ....
by BIGSKYND  (2019-05-05 12:46:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's a dump.

It’s the Bowl Game the ACC deserves, but not the one it
by The Holtz Room  (2019-05-01 22:32:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

needs right now.

Gosh, who wouldn't want to be in Boston in the winter
by sprack  (2019-05-01 15:25:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to watch a football game in a baseball stadium?

Yeeeeaaah, no.

Please come to Boston for the Wintertime... *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-05-01 15:43:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Somewhat analogous to Springtime for Germany. *
by SWPaDem  (2019-05-02 09:10:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She said "no" *
by sprack  (2019-05-01 18:12:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we already did the Music City Bowl.
by domer4  (2019-05-03 10:30:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or is she saying we belong in that bowl always?

ACC vs. AAC? FFS
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-04-30 15:53:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How much you wanna bet ND will be in one of the first two of those games?

They probably wouldn't mind Fredo
by tf86  (2019-04-30 20:42:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or maybe Syracuse. Beyond that, probably not many ACC teams high on their wish list, particularly given the fact that this game probably won't be very high on the pecking order for selecting ACC teams.

NCSt fans travel pretty well
by Porpoiseboy  (2019-05-01 11:02:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to Branson.

Is there a way to short the ticket sales? *
by Irish Tool  (2019-04-30 13:40:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn't that what Anthony Travel is doing? *
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-05-01 15:55:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Never mind the stupid location for a bowl game.
by cujays96  (2019-04-30 12:49:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like the number of teams in MLB, the number should be going down not up.

Don't hold your breath
by tf86  (2019-04-30 20:37:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The WWL is actually a silent partner in many of the minor bowl games. The week between Christmas and New Year's is notoriously slow for sports programming. These bowl games fill air time, and provide better ratings than would the WSOP or whatever else they might televise instead. And most schools are only too happy to go.

Note that I'm not saying that I think this is a good thing, only recounting the facts as I see them.

Per Brett McMurphy, ESPN owns 16 of 43 bowl games
by bluengold07  (2019-05-01 13:10:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“In 2020, ESPN Events will own 16 of the 43 FBS bowl games:

Boston, Cure, Myrtle Beach, Frisco, Hawaii, Texas, Gasparilla, Las Vegas, Armed Forces, New Mexico, First Responder, Bahamas, Boca Raton, Camellia, Birmingham, Famous Idaho Potato”

It’s a remarkable racket - They force the conferences and schools to buy thousands of tickets, the majority of which they will never sell, forcing them to eat the loss. Then ESPN rakes in the advertising dollars with live mid-week afternoon programming.

Very few of those should be considered warm weather spots
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2019-05-03 22:20:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would anyone want to go to a bowl game in Boston.

As I understand it, most bowl game tickets are
by tf86  (2019-05-03 13:07:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty easy to come by. I wasn't able to make it to the Fiesta Bowl for our last national championship (somewhat foolishly in hindsight, I figured there would be others in the near future), and I lived in Jacksonville at the time. I wound up going to the Gator Bowl instead, in what was Vince Dooley's last game as Georgia head coach (vs. Michigan State). Fun fact for that game: New Year's Day fell on a Sunday that year, and the Gator Bowl was the only bowl game to play on Sunday.

Anyway, a bunch of us walked right up to the gate and got tickets for the game. Tickets cost $10 IIRC (it was over 30 years ago, after all).

For schools, it's the price for 15 extra days of practice
by jbrown_9999  (2019-05-02 10:31:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, the advantage to a program to have additional days of practice makes it more difficult to say no if invited to a bowl game.

There is also some benefit with regards to recruiting and alumni relations I would think.

Whether or not the above is valued above the cost of attending is a good question. I would hazard a guess that ADs and other folks making the decision just care about enjoying the boondoggles while they spend their schools' money

I don’t think schools can decline bowl bids
by bluengold07  (2019-05-02 11:43:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think most, if not all conferences have it in their bylaws that if offered, schools have to go.

I think there is one exception
by tf86  (2019-05-03 13:11:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A 5-7 team can decline a bowl bid if one is offered. I believe Missouri did so a few years back. This year no 5-7 teams went to bowl games, but starting in 2020 there almost certainly will be some, unless some existing bowls fold.

One further advantage to a bowl game (for a Group of Five school, at least) is the opportunity to appear on national TV on a network with broader range than CBSSN or FS1, and also with less TV competition involving Power 5 programs.