only 4 times since 1910 has ND failed to get an Ill. recruit
by olson (2019-05-09 13:40:32)
Edited on 2019-05-09 15:26:10

assuming that Rylie Mills DL Lake Forest Illinois follows up on his recent ND commitment & signs with ND:

That will increase the consecutive years with ND signing at least one Illinois HS recruit all the way back to 1983 -the last time ND failed to have single recruit from Illinois in a Frosh class!

In fact, only 4 times (with an asterisk) has ND failed to have a Illinois HS football player among the Frosh recruits.

sorry, I didn't bother to go back further than 1910 ND Frosh classes :)

the first time going back to 1910 that there were no Illinois recruits.....though there was a Frosh walk on HB named Bob Popke Highland Park Ill on the '71 ND Frosh squad.

And yes, Ara did receive some grief from alums for his failure to recruit an Illinois kid- specifically in the Chicago Catholic League....a reoccurring criticism (edit-by some Chicago area alums mostly) of Parseghian during his "Era".

All & all, this '71 class may have been Ara's best Frosh recruiting effort-including Tom Clements(Pa), Wayne Bullock (Va), Eric Penick (Oh), Pete Demmerle(Ct), Mike Fanning (Ok) etc

This one includes an "asterisk'....ND DID actually recruit a Frosh player who lived in Illinois = Ted Burgmeier from East Dubuque, Ill. But Burgmeier played HS football across the Mississippi river in Dubuque Iowa(where he made All State).....count him if you chose...:)

Gerry Faust's first recruiting class included 13 Parade HS AAs-but no one from Illinois.

The very last time there were no Illinois recruits among a Notre Dame recruiting class

Note:
I assume the above begs the question: What about some of the other 'most common' States for ND recruits through the years:

Just since the turn of this Century (2000) there have been numerous years where ND failed to sign a single player from Indiana, Michigan, Pennsylvania or Ohio

Disappointed in WI recruiting..
by ndamage  (2019-05-10 11:15:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Greg Pauley was the last recruit in WI. There are plenty of linemen to pick the litter, but we seem to have no impact in the State. Beidatsch from Marquette might have arrived after Pauley. I know they offered the kid from Kettle Moraine this past year, but he chose Madison.

ND doesn't seem to want road grading farm boys
by fontoknow  (2019-05-12 22:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly's needs are better filled in Georgia.

That's a smart decision given the depth of top level
by WilfordBrimley  (2019-05-15 23:31:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

talent in each state.

plenty of *
by olson  (2019-05-10 13:17:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of NFL titles between Curly, Rocky, and Casper. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-10 13:38:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

off the front page *
by olson  (2019-05-10 14:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe it's when the polls changed to being after the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-11 22:47:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bowl games that ND ended its ban on participating in bowl games.

Maybe the AP, but when we beat Bama in the Sugar Bowl,
by Rosecrea  (2019-05-17 07:43:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the UPI already had them crowned as National Champs because they didn't do a poll after the Bowl games. They changed the following year. It's one of Bama's 273 National Championships

Alvarez and Chryst have worked the state well.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-10 13:06:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bucky vacuums up many of the top recruits and lets other schools like Iowa. Michigan St., and Indiana fight over the scraps.

I agree. They've built a fence around the state..
by ndamage  (2019-05-11 11:12:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, we've offered only 1 kid in this current cycle from WI. It seems like we're not interested in spending time in the state. This has been happening for the past decade and a half. ND recruits nationally, but it's a short drive to WI.

not a lot of high-end talent in the state
by Final_Flanner  (2019-05-13 14:54:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at least by the recruiting star system, which is the easiest metric for us to use to measure such things. Given the limited time coaches can be on the road for recruits, it makes sense to focus on the best possible recruits, not ones that are a relatively short drive away.

This will be Kelly's 11th recruiting cycle as ND head coach. In that timeframe, Wisconsin has produced 12 4-star recruits total per 24/7. There are probably 25 high schools that can top that number.

Gold is where you find it *
by ACross  (2019-05-23 00:44:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We change that next year with our Lambeau Field game. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-11 22:48:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND’s is also not doing so hot in New Hampshire *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-05-09 15:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

way off the front page *
by olson  (2019-05-09 16:07:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

forgot Boyd Jajesnica C Manchester NH Central (Frosh '1960' * (link)
by olson  (2019-06-12 15:08:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Ray Franklin HB Claremont NH Stevens HS 1942
by olson  (2019-06-27 17:21:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1942 likely was a better recruiting class than the famed '46 class...included Lujack, Sitko, Dancewicz and others...but a War got in the way

and Chris Rellas E Nashua NH
by olson  (2019-07-06 12:56:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Look at you, comin’ strong on freakin’ New Hampshire!
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-05-10 12:28:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’re a force, my friend. You cannot be stopped!

Bob Kerrigan
by NH74Domer  (2019-05-10 08:46:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was a bit curious to find out where Bob Kerrigan went to HS. There was a Bob Kerrigan who played for Bishop Bradley, a Manchester Catholic High School which merged with two others in the city to form Trinity High School in 1970 (Dan Mullen's alma mater).

However, from what I can determine from online news articles, this Bob Kerrigan was a senior in 1960, which would have made him a frosh at ND in '61 unless he went to prep school for two years before enrolling.

We at least know that Bob Belden's father attended
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-09 20:55:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Notre Dame.

When it came time to pick a college, Notre Dame was an easy choice. His father and two uncles went to Notre Dame. Belden was the seventh of seven Beldens to go to Notre Dame during his generation.

“It was always my dream to play at Notre Dame,” he said. “I didn’t get to play as much as I wanted.”

His timing wasn’t great.

Belden played behind Terry Hanratty and Joe Theismann, both of whom would go on to win Super Bowl rings.

by olson  (2019-05-09 22:44:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Believe it was his uncle
by SixShutouts66  (2019-05-09 23:56:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob has an interview for the 1969 class blog (Walsh69 if I remember). here is an excerpt from an interview with Bob which indicates Bill Belden was an uncle:

My cousin, Bill Belden, Jr., became president of Belden Brick in 1983. He called and asked me to return to Canton as vice president of marketing, including market and sales analysis. I could not refuse.

As an added note, the Dept of Science had a basketball league in the spring. Our math squad was quite good until March 17th when Ara called Mr Belden back to duty and we reappeared as a bunch of nerds.

The 1973 team won the national title so that should
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-09 14:23:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have kept the 1971 complainers quiet for a bit. The recruits you listed played key roles in one or more games.