RIP Bart Starr *
by irishhawk49 (2019-05-26 13:06:11)

This user did not provide content for this post

Highlight of my ND days -- speaking to Bart on the phone
by btd  (2019-06-22 22:12:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A former ND punter was the RA on my floor in Grace Hall my freshman year. He had made the 1985 Bears as a punter but then got sick and ultimately cut -- probably haunts him to this day (I know it did that year).

Anyway, he didn't like Faust much. Faust was friends with the priest that lived in Mike's room the prior semester and would call all the time. He started having other people answer the phone for him because of that.

One day I answered the phone for him and the person on the other end asked to speak with XXX. I asked who was calling (I knew it wasn't Faust). "This is Bart Star, head coach of..."

After nearly shitting myself, I ran over to get him. He was actively trying to make another NFL team at the time, so was getting calls like that every now and then.

Jerry Kramer said that, while Starr may not have been the...
by Scoop80  (2019-05-28 22:33:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

best QB in NFL in a given season, for 3 hours every Sunday, he almost invariably seemed to be the best QB on the field upon which he happened to be playing.

That’s because he always kept his team in a position to win.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-05-29 20:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He executed, he minimized mistakes, and he had a knack for hitting the big play when it counted. He was rarely outplayed by his counterpart, and his leadership was second to none. He was the perfect QB for Lombardi’s system.

Dan Devine mentioned in one Starr article today.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-26 13:37:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Starr cared so deeply about the franchise that he couldn’t turn down the Packers’ offer to become the head coach and general manager in 1975, even though, as he would admit years later, he was unprepared for the job. He had spent the ’72 season as Dan Devine’s quarterbacks coach, but had no other coaching experience.

Plus, he inherited a mess. Devine had traded five high draft picks for washed-up quarterback John Hadl, basically bankrupting the team’s short-term future.

“He inherited a team that didn’t have a strong nucleus,” said Bratkowski, Starr’s quarterbacks coach from 1975 to ‘81.

I remember that goddamned trade *
by ACross  (2019-05-28 13:44:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You were riding a big wheel *
by NDamage  (2019-05-29 18:00:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was 8 and a half, you douche
by ACross  (2019-05-30 13:39:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And had been going to Packers games since I was 4.

We had season tickets then, which are now mine.

Isn't 4 too young to bring your child to a football game? *
by tdiddy07  (2019-06-24 12:48:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn’t 8 a little old to ride a big wheel? *
by socal_doubledomer74  (2019-05-30 22:39:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

kinky! *
by 84david  (2019-05-30 12:57:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Devine was not made for the pro game
by sprack  (2019-05-27 17:05:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s got a lot of company there.

But to be fair, he didn’t inherit a good team in the first place.

Neither was Holtz *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-05-30 13:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wonder if Devine ever regretted leaving Mizzou...
by Scoop80  (2019-05-28 22:30:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Tigers went to 4 major bowls under him, winning twice. He is the only Mizzou HC since 1921 to finish w/ a W/L % of over .700. He could've retired from there as a local legend. While there were 3 mediocre Bengston years separating Lombardi from Devine, the Lombardi expectations persisted through Devine's tenure. We both personally recall how the Parseghian expectations were applied to Devine at ND. He was endured his first 2 1/2 years, and he was tolerated thereafter.

He never would have won an NC at Mizzou
by sprack  (2019-05-29 12:14:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I'd hope long term he had no regrets, but I would have to think he regretted going to the NFL in the same way Lou Holtz regretted it, and many other college coaches who did the same.

I also always got the impression that he was a "don't look back, look forward" guy.

He never would’ve been the big meanie who wouldn’t let...
by Scoop80  (2019-05-29 22:47:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rudy suit up, either:

Devine to the Packers
by Cliff Claven  (2019-05-29 09:49:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I once read that the packers were trying to hire Bob Devaney from Nebraska but some front office guy for the packers mixed up the names.

I googled the subject and found an article but it won'y let me insert the link

Cliffy

That's patently ridiculous
by sprack  (2019-05-29 12:22:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First of all, Devaney retired from coaching completely after the 1972 season, to be athletic director at NU only, comfortable in turning the coaching reins over to Tom Osborne.

Second, Devine had a stellar record at Mizzou.

Third, nobody is that dumb.

Here is the link
by Cliff Claven  (2019-05-29 21:43:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From the article
"Over time, members of the Packers organization from back then told me Olejniczak got his names mixed up during the search. He contacted Devine when he meant to pursue Bob Devaney, coach at the University of Nebraska.

Several people shared that story with me, but with different scenarios that I never thought added up, especially long after the fact. But your question got me digging through old interviews and files, and the most credible of my sources was personnel director Pat Peppler, who had been hired by Lombardi and was running the Packers’ football operation during the coaching search.

Peppler admitted he couldn’t prove the story was true, but the way he told it was more plausible than other versions I’ve heard. Most never explained how the seed was planted. Innocently was Peppler’s explanation

Peppler, who died three years ago, said someone simply recommended Devaney to Olejniczak and the latter got the names confused"

Cliffy

One comment I don’t recall hearing about either of them
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-05-27 19:54:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was “How did they manage to lose with all that talent?” Both did well to make the playoffs once each with those motley crews.

Yep. Devine’s QB was Jerry Tagge
by sprack  (2019-05-27 20:03:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tagge was overrated coming out of college because he was on great Nebraska teams that won consecutive NC’s. He had a very good college career but those teams were so loaded that it made him look better than he was as a pro prospect. Didn’t hurt that he beat Devine’s Mizzou teams either.

There was almost nobody left on the Packers from the Great Lombardi teams.

local boy - Green Bay West.
by ACross  (2019-05-28 13:54:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His heir was Bud Keyes.

Little know fact: Green Bay has shithole public schools. Just fucking dumps. I think they have built one in the last 50 years, Southwest. And that place is a dump too.

Green Bay East - dump. West - dump. Preble - dump.

My defunct high school was a dump, but that was part of its Chocolate War charm, as editors of the Milwaukee Journal and WSJ can attest.