Storylines for 2019?
by Notra_Dahm (2019-06-19 01:45:42)

Just to get the "Skunkbear at 10 Downing?" post off the top of the board . . .

This feels like one of those seasons where the team could really get it together, and the magic happens, or really disappoint, perhaps just because one facet of the team (kicking?) doesn't pan out.

So, now that we're a few months out, what storylines are you curious to follow (or just expect to unfold) over the coming season?

Is it how much playing time Jurkovec will get when Book has been so solid? How will the young speed burners at receiver perform? How many Fat Eddie postings will there be?

Without taking your focus off of Louisville, what's got your attention?

We will win games against the tomato cans
by Camarillo Brillo  (2019-06-22 17:42:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the teams who are in a down period (who usually beat us). We’ll get blown out by the well coached very good to great teams.

So ND beats USC for the 3rd year in a row?
by JACC1203  (2019-06-22 21:14:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cool.

ND has the potential to have its highest three-year win %
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-06-21 14:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in over 25 years.

Doing that, even with some ugly results, would be noteworthy.

That being said, ND hasn't had a good season W/L wise that didn't include a season ruining blowout since... 1993?

Just using a low-bar baseline of 9 wins, here's the seasons that qualify going back to Holtz' tenure, and the blowout losses in each. Parentheses indicate borderline blowouts:

2018: Clemson
2017: Miami, (Stanford)
2015: (Ohio State)
2012: Alabama
2006: UM, USC, LSU
2005: (Ohio State)
2002: USC, NCSU
2000: Oregon State
1998: MSU
1995: Ohio State
1993: ---
1992: Stanford
1991: Penn State
1990: ---
1989: Miami
1988: ---

On the plus side, we're starting to regularly have good W/L records again. 3 seasons in a row, and 4 out of 5 would be good progress. But we haven't had an unambiguously good season in a loooong time. We crucially need to avoid blowouts, and could desperately use a serious prestige win. Fewer than 10 wins is a failed season.

Nit: 2015 Ohio St wasn't a blowout. Not even borderline.
by rockmcd  (2019-06-24 19:29:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With a 7 point lead, Ohio St converted 3rd & 9 and 3rd & 11 deep in their own territory. Had they not converted either of those, ND would have gotten the ball back with sufficient time to get a touchdown, and (as Weis later divulged) a game deciding 2-point conversion.

Yes I realize there was a large difference in total yards in Ohio St's favor but that doesn't make it a blowout. Nobody's saying we blew out South Florida in 2011.

I won't protest too much on that. *
by KeoughCharles05  (2019-06-28 12:45:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty sure you meant 2005.
by Jwill77  (2019-06-24 21:36:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I agree, it wasn't a blowout.

Yes, of course. Thanks for catching that.
by rockmcd  (2019-06-25 12:19:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Instead of correcting it, I'll let my brainfart remain there in the subject line as a testament to my stupidity.

25+ year streak of 0 wins vs top 10 teams
by ND71  (2019-06-22 12:47:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK continues to enhance ND's mediocre Bisquik brand of football.

Bookstore continues to offer honey packets with its $100 home game t-shirts.

MSU was a top 10 win. Only loss for them that year
by btd  (2019-06-22 22:04:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You point is generally still valid, but we haven't gone 25 years without a top 10 win. MSU ended in the top 10 and Oklahoma was top 10 at the time we beat them in 2012. Weis also had some top 10 wins at the time of the game and so did Ty and Davie.

So, 1 win against a team that finished Top 10 in 25 years?
by ndzippy  (2019-06-24 10:39:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holy shit balls, that's bad.

Iowa State had 2 such wins in 2017 alone.

Stanford in 2012, Michigan in 2002
by Brew City Domer  (2019-06-25 12:27:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Several more top 15 in that time frame. And a lot of losses.

2012 Stanford W was vacated *
by ND71  (2019-07-02 10:38:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FBI probes Russian Involvement in Board Ops elections
by Frank Drebin  (2019-06-21 11:40:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Boys down at the Bureau got a little bit suspicious regarding how good Jvan was at his ND game predictions. A little bit too good for someone like Jvan. It also did not help Board Ops cause that Bonger always posted with a slight Russian accent. The rest of this sordid tale will have to be read about in the post trial tabloids.

Pope denies rejecting Fat Shirly for sainthood *
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-06-22 13:59:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He claimed she only performed 3 lousy miracles.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-06-22 15:18:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And two of them were card tricks.

Now he’s backtracking?

Here comes the Michigan playoff predictions.
by NW Ohio Irish  (2019-06-20 09:33:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems like every year Michigan is going to be the team to beat. Harbaugh, like Kelly seems to get manhandled in big games.

Michigan can always lose 1 game and be in the conversation.
by domer4  (2019-06-20 15:39:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that includes beating absolutely no one in their non-conference schedule and 4 away games against nobodies in conference.

See 2016 AND 2018 for verification of that. They nearly were ranked higher than ND last year near season's end despite our victory over them.

The real question is can they go to 2 losses and make the playoffs - start off ranking in the top 5, lose early, lose middle, then beat a top 5 OSU team and a top 5/10 team in the big 10 championship.

I suspect yes, they can - their 2003 season would be the blue print - lost to Oregon early, to Iowa middle, yet after beating OSU - they were ranked #4 in the country - and they would have now been offered the Big 10 champ game too.

Phil Steele has 10-2 ND facing Miami in the Orange Bowl.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-06-19 13:37:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If so, the story-line here will be "When did Brian Kelly say he's retiring?"

Maybe a bit harsh. Lost a lot and tough schedule. Perhaps
by NDTwice  (2019-06-19 13:47:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

10 - 2 isn't too bad.

If the returning roster isn’t ready, whose fault is that? *
by IrishGeek  (2019-06-20 15:45:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not if we get completely routed by UGa
by 84david  (2019-06-20 09:07:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our schedule is below average compared to ND standards.

We play 4 teams that had 9 or more losses in 2018 -
the most ever.
(UL 2-10, Navy 3-10, UNM 3-9, BGSU 3-9)
We play 6 teams that had losing records (add USC and Va Tech)

We play 9 teams that had 5 or more losses. (add BC UVa and Duke).

Our schedule is ranked 53rd in preseason mags.

10-2 is the absolute floor.

You have added another variable but sure I agree that
by NDTwice  (2019-06-20 09:57:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if we get routed by Georgia or anyone else the seat will be much hotter for our coach.

Regarding our schedule it is ranked the 53th most difficult by Steele but the bad teams on our schedule are unduly influencing the mean [pulling it down]. If you take the average of our five toughest teams according to Steele [Michigan 3, Georgia 4, Stanford 22, Virginia Tech 25, and USC 32], the average is 17.2. This might be a truer measure of a top and low level schedule. Unfortunately, our three hardest games (Michigan, George, and Stanford are also away.

Personally I think there is a reasonable chance that we can go ten and one and be in the play off conversation. I am, of course, biased but the offense should be particularly hard to stop and the defense while inexperienced here and there, it does have notable players scattered across all facets of it. Our young linebackers could surprise due to their speed.

Isn't VaTech in disarray?
by Tex Francisco  (2019-06-20 13:36:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought they were imploding and half the team was transferring.

I thought so too but Steele has them as a surprise team.
by NDTwice  (2019-06-20 17:58:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could be all wet of course. Let's hope so.

10-1 and in the playoff conversation...
by jbrown_9999  (2019-06-20 10:59:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And then Kelly loses to Stanford on the road (again!) to end up 10-2 and drop out of said conversation?

Stanford has been trending down since their Iowa Rose Bowl
by Tex Francisco  (2019-06-20 13:39:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

beat down. I guess people expect them to bounce back this year with Costello coming back.

What will the excuses be?
by ACross  (2019-06-19 10:16:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are fresh off an abysmal performance. The passes were there. Brilliant game plan. our receivers just didn’t execute.

Never the same after the NM game *
by abqgant  (2019-06-24 23:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The claim will be we played an unrealistic road schedule *
by btd  (2019-06-22 22:05:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfair that opponents have open weeks prior to playing ND *
by Father Nieuwland  (2019-06-19 11:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well considering our schedule I think you can get a pretty
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-06-19 10:27:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

good idea of what you can expect to be hearing from the man who brought us this quote:

Q. It's been kind of a tough situation for you, I think 2-9 against top-20 teams on the road. Has there been one common theme why that's been a bit of a struggle to overcome these types of games?

BRIAN KELLY: Yeah, playing top-20 teams on the road. It's hard to beat top-20 teams on the road. You know, I don't keep track of those records, but I'm sure there's been some really good games in that mix of 2-9, but you know, you go on the road, it's hard to win on the road, and if you're playing top-20 teams on the road, it's even more difficult. So you just prepare your team the best you can, and when you go on the road and you're playing top-20 teams, they're difficult competition. You're probably not going to be 9-2.

My guess is that he will view having to play at Georgia, Michigan, and Stanford in the same year like he's being asked to lead the Salvation Army in a winter invasion of Russia.

"It's a play here and there" *
by Wolfetone  (2019-06-19 10:35:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Top 20 teams give out scholarships, too.” *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2019-06-21 19:26:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Will Kelly end a decade at ND with this as his list of road
by Carlos Huerta  (2019-06-19 09:38:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wins over teams that finished the year ranked?

(AP/Coaches)

'12- Oklahoma (15/15)
'17- Mich St. (15/16)
'18- Northwestern (21/19)

I would argue FSU 14 was taken from him
by JBrock18  (2019-06-19 15:32:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That call was BS. Other than that your point is valid and sobering.