Last Conference Championship Upset?
by TWO (2019-08-13 10:22:50)

I can't really think of one in a long time. The last one I can remember that was really a big upset was the 2003 Big 12 Championship game between KState and OU. OU had been #1 in all the polls all season had Heisman winner Jason White at QB, big favorite. KState came out and just rolled them 35-7, but the BCS math still favored OU and they got to play in the Championship game with Nick Saban and LSU, where they lost.

Other than that I'm not coming up with a big upset in a Conference Championship game.

2014 B1G Title Game
by KevinG  (2019-08-13 11:35:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wisconsin was a 4-point favorite, and then laid down 0-59 so the B1G could get a team in the playoff

Wisconsin got housed in that game. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-08-13 13:41:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A 7-5 Wisconsin team won the Big 10 title game
by bluengold07  (2019-08-13 10:40:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t remember who they beat, but they had to have been an underdog.

In 2012, they beat Nebraska 70-31 but then lost in the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-08-13 13:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rose Bowl to finish 8-6.

Which propped up Shaw's major bowl game record.
by rockmcd  (2019-08-13 18:45:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shaw in major bowl games:

Lost to Oklahoma St
Beat 8-5 Wisconsin (3rd in their division behind OSU and PSU, both on probabation)
Lost to Sparty
Beat Iowa

If Shaw ever makes it back to a major bowl game I'd like to see him face off against an elite program. I'm sure he'll keep it closer than Kelly did against Bama, Ohio St, & Clemson, but not by much.

In 2013, No. 10 MSU beat No. 2 OSU.
by tdiddy07  (2019-08-13 10:33:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2007, No. 9 OU beat No. 1 Kansas. Although it's possible OU was actually favored.

In 2017, No. 6 UGA beat No. 2 Auburn in a grudge match.

All prevented the losers from playing in the championship game/playoff.

The Big 12 seems to have had upsets more frequently in games that costs teams shots at the title. In 1998, No. 8 A&M beat No. 3 undefeated Kansas State, who would've advanced past UCLA after the Bruins lost to Miami in a Hurricane-rescheduled game that week. In 1996, unranked Texas beat No. 3 Nebraska, who would've gone to the Sugar Bowl to play Florida State because No. 2 Arizona State went to the Rose Bowl, where they lost to Ohio State. In 2001, No. 9 Colorado beat No. 3 Texas, who would've jumped in to the championship after No. 2 Florida lost to Tennessee, who then lost to LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

2011 was almost an upset that could've prevented Kelly from going to ND. No. 22 Nebraska lost by 1 to No. 3 Texas, who eventually went to the Championship Game after 1 second was put back on the clock for a game-ending field goal. A Texas loss could've vaulted UC to No. 2 to play in the title game after No. 2 Florida lost to Alabama and UC jumped over undefeated TCU after beating Pitt to finish 3rd in the BCS standing. Though that's no guarantee. They could've voted differently to avoid a Big East newcomer. Though they wouldn't want a rematch, and TCU inexplicably dropped behind UC even though it's best wins were slightly better than UC's and in much more convincing fashion.

Nebraska v Texas and Kelly
by Zbirdman  (2019-08-13 23:33:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That frickin game. Good summary.

Low hanging fruit, etc. etc. I remember that Brian Kelly was the likely 'next guy', and I clearly remember him during the Cincy-Pitt game, trashing his kicker at the halftime on-field interview. I wasn't exactly jacked and pumped.

Who was the next choice after Kelly? Was there an obvious number 2?

2007 has to be the oddest year of NCAAFB this century. *
by Irish Tool  (2019-08-13 23:18:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great summary.
by rockmcd  (2019-08-13 18:52:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

[Nit: Your last paragraph was 2009, not 2011]

Good catch. I try to remember 2012 as the first Kelly season
by tdiddy07  (2019-08-14 09:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at ND. Or, well, I did. Now that season didn't happen either.

No idea. I've yet to watch a single one
by Hanratty5ND  (2019-08-13 10:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are all a farce.
All about the money.