I don't understand your assumption
by elterrible (2019-08-15 14:10:27)

In reply to: Ah, I didn't know that he took a redshirt last season.  posted by rockmcd

and I doubt Swinney cares very much whether or not Bryant stayed a student at Clemson - he's punishing him for leaving the team. If players that only participate on the practice squad get a ring why shouldn't a player that actually started games (and guided Clemson to a playoff berth the year prior) get a ring?

This is a vindictive measure for a player that helped the team. It's also asking a lot to tell a player at a football-centric school to hang around and take classes after quitting the team. I imagine the social implications would be significant.

Finally, Swinney's comments about paying athletes and "entitlement" are enough for me.

I don't view it as vindictive punishment, unless there is
by rockmcd  (2019-08-15 15:14:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some precedent for a player who quit a team mid-season and dropped out of school to receive an award postseason. Is that a thing? If a high school football player drops out of school in the middle of the season, would the coach bring him back to campus for the postseason banquet and give him a championship ring? You tell me.

You're probably right that it may not have been practical for Bryant to attend classes after quitting the team, due to his notoriety. But if a lower level player tapped out mid-season (perhaps to focus on his studies, or just couldn't handle the physical toll) but still remained a member of the student body then I would consider him to be eligible for postseason awards such as a championship ring. That's just my own opinion about where I would draw the line, I probably shouldn't have speculated about what Dabo would do in that situation.

Because the practice players didn't quit.
by tdiddy07  (2019-08-15 14:44:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They accepted their role to help the team win a championship. Kelly has the swag from the years he played, including a 2016 championship ring. He doesn't have the swag from the year he quit. I don't see the controversy. I certainly wouldn't expect to get a ring in those circumstances.