I attended one in 2013(?)-ish
by golfjunkie17 (2019-08-18 09:45:17)
Edited on 2019-08-18 09:49:54

In reply to: Wondering if the Knights of Columbus still holds their  posted by irish-al

Not sure since. Muffet McGraw and Lou Somogyi were the “headline” speakers at the one I attended, along with some former players who were more from my fathers era (ND ‘73). I was not familiar with the players, but my dad seemed to have fond memories of them. It was at Moreau, in a small cafeteria-type room, probably had 50-100 attendees throughout the night. There was a small concession stand (which served ice cold Old Style and other refreshments/snacks). Muffet and Lou were very generous with their time, stayed at the event through it’s entirety, and mixed and mingled with everyone. They both clearly had spent a good amount of time preparing for the evening, as both got up and spoke for extended periods of time. Also, Muffet’s husband is a cool dude.

I know not responsive to the original question of if they are going on or not, but I do recommend checking it out some time if they are still going on. It did kind of start to drag after a while (we were there well over 2 hours), but it was a really cool event that offered access to some people closely connected to ND, in an intimate setting where you could really get up close and ask questions and just b.s. with them. And, man, Lou Somogyi can tell a story.

*edit - and just discussing with my wife, I’m now thinking it may have even been earlier than 2013.

My son and I were there too. I believe it was 2009.
by NovaRudy  (2019-08-19 10:14:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Frank Pomarico from the 1973 National Champions was there. I remember that evening well because my son, who was ten years old at the time, asked Muffet a question about Villanova and Harry Peretta (and not Geno and Uconn!) and competing in the Big East. We returned to a smoker in 2012 and met Vagas Ferguson, who is an all-time great guy, in addition to being one of the great Irish running backs. These events were great for fans of all ages. It was so nice that people were so giving of their time and never “big-timed” anyone.