On the "illegal touching" call on GA;
by hometown fan (2019-09-22 04:44:47)
Edited on 2019-09-22 10:38:17

Which I am sure the refs meant to say "ineligible receiver downfield"; why was that not offensive pass interference? I mean the dude ran into our defender near where the ball was caught. And, I cannot remember the sequence, is that the drive GA scored a TD to get to 20; or, the FG to get to 23?

Of course, the issue is OPI would have been a 15 yard penalty instead of the 5 GA was backed up. If it was the FG drive, the extra 10 penalty yards probably would not have mattered.

Officiating
by Irishnut63  (2019-09-23 22:34:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The unnecessary roughness call in the first drive was a joke and not even close to a foul

I didn't see unnecessary roughness on the quarterback or,
by art fern  (2019-09-24 13:14:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for that matter, anyone else. Enlighten me.

Assuming it was Book to which you are referring, roughing the passer was out as soon as he was driven to the sidelines. (I don't think it was roughing the passer even if he stayed in the pocket, but he didn't.) As for unnecessary roughness on Book, that has to be something so egregious. The three Georgia defenders were there less than a fraction of a second after Book released the pass.

Unless, you are going with targetting or a likewise penalty.

They called one of those on each team.
by Mr Wednesday  (2019-09-24 00:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seemed like something they were consistently looking for.

This same crew made the same call against ND last year
by NDFaninMadTown  (2019-09-23 00:19:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it nullified a Boykin TD that would have put the nail in the coffin 28-10. Instead we kicked a FG that made it 24-10 and kept Michigan within striking distance.

The WR was the one who touched it illegally because he was covering the TE on LOS. He needed to be off the LOS.

That cannot be correct
by hometown fan  (2019-09-23 07:10:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the WR covered up the TE, then the TE is ineligible. You stated the WR was ineligible.

They kinda screwed it up..
by NDFaninMadTown  (2019-09-23 10:52:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was referring to what they called. They called illegal touching on the TE (#89) who didn't touch the ball.

It was an illegal formation. The WR covered the TE. Making the TE ineligible..he was also blocking downfield well before ball was thrown. They could have chosen a number of penalties.

An intelligible receiver can't commit pass interference.
by SavageDragon  (2019-09-22 10:55:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because he's ineligible, he's a blocker, and thus is allowed to engage in blocking activity. He just can't do it downfield on a pass.

What if he’s unintelligible?
by Nathan  (2019-09-22 18:47:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like a Michigan receiver?

I think you mean imbecilic. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-09-22 21:05:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you mean imbecilic. *
by Notra_Dahm  (2019-09-22 21:04:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What if he's ambiguous? *
by Irish Warrior  (2019-09-22 11:41:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post