A coach to keep an eye on for the future.
by Bellcon (2019-09-22 11:19:16)
Edited on 2019-09-22 11:19:57

Justin Wilcox was the defensive coordinator for the Badger’s in 2016. He is now the head coach at Cal. He is building a great strong defense. They need a little work on their offense but it will be very interesting to see how he does there. If he could bring the Badger mentality to a big-time school it would be very interesting to see how they would do. So far this season they have beat Washington and Mississippi.

I would love to see Notre Dame get a defensive minded coach some day

Another one.
by Fresno Mike  (2019-09-23 13:09:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oregon's new D coordinator Andy Avalos. Ducks hired him away from Boise State this season. He's a young coach and is very well thought of and has the Ducks' playing tough, tough D. He's from SoCal and grew up a huge ND fan. One to keep an eye on methinks.

Our one defensivei head coach is now Lobo in Chiroef * *
by jrdjr84  (2019-09-22 20:06:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Return your keyboard to Irish Joe in NC, stat.
by Jess  (2019-09-24 13:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cows got drink trees, too...

Teams run by defensive-minded coaches can be very hard to ..
by hoomanbeing  (2019-09-22 17:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

watch sometimes. We've had a couple at UVa and, unless their willing to put their complete and unbridled trust in their OC, the offense starts degenerating into just running between the tackles. It's like "we've got to play conservatively to give the defense some rest", while coaches like Mike Leach seem to have the attitude of "Defense is semi-optional because we can outscore just about anybody (except UCLA last night)." Mendenhall (who is a defensive-minded coach having been a DB for Oregon St.) trusts Anae (the OC) and Beck (the QB coach) enough that he doesn't stick his nose into what they're trying to do.

It's why Stoops was so successful. *
by supernd  (2019-09-23 21:33:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wasn't aware he was the DC for Sarkesian at USC.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-09-22 17:17:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he's from Oregon and went to Oregon and so on, I just wonder if he'd prefer the West Coast.

He's done a great job with that defense *
by garbageplate  (2019-09-22 16:53:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Personally I'd rather have a guy from the offensive
by TWO  (2019-09-22 13:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

side. But no doubt Wilcox is somebody to keep an eye on for the future.
Mel Tucker is another one from the defense to keep an eye on though.

I find Kelly to be very offensive. *
by LocalSubAlum  (2019-09-22 13:57:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wilcox is an interesting guy. (link)
by Manor76  (2019-09-22 12:13:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This line was fascinating
by HTownND  (2019-09-22 14:23:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“ Pezman understood one of the most important but under-publicized aspects of college football:

The need for alignment between the head coach’s personality, his style of play and the school’s natural recruiting pool.”

I dont know which coaching prospects...
by supernd  (2019-09-22 17:16:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have the right personality for ND. I do you we recruit TEs and OL better than or as well as anyone. Therefore our offense should resemble a power running/play action offense.

Exactly, play to your strengths *
by BIG MAC  (2019-09-22 19:07:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love that *
by supernd  (2019-09-22 17:11:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post