Best Years of our Lives (link)
by El Kabong (2019-10-15 01:37:27)

degree of difficulty is actually pretty close
by navarre  (2019-10-15 16:11:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Granted Kelly got the swargifts of Miami OH, Ball State, N Mexico and B Green within his 26 wins, plus a terrible Navy team and a bad UNC team, but Lou feasted on the bad Navy (3x), Purdue (2x), Northwestern (2x) and Pitt (3x, but 1 year pitt was 'decent') teams of the early 90s, those games accounted for 9 of Lou's 26. I would strongly prefer to play bad P5 teams than MAC attacks for the record. The bottom of the schedules within these 30 game sample sizes are very similar, in fact, I'd say Lou played more terrible teams 11 than Kelly, 6. But Kelly's bottom 4 is rank.

The meat of each of their 26 wins was against mediocre competition, teams that won between 8 and 4 games, for Lou this was USC (2x, 1 year SC was brutal), BYU (2x), MSU (2x), PSU (1x), Mich (1x), Hawaii (1x) etc; Kelly has really cleaned up against Wake (2x), USC (2x), and then middling teams like VTech, Vandy, FSU, Pitt, BC, Louisville, Virginia, etc, etc..and it should be noted that 8 wins meant more in the 90s than it does in todays watered-down 12/13 games schedules, but i tried to slot them accordingly

Its at the top, which isn't a surprise where Lou stands out over Kelly, beating FSU, TAM, Florida, BC (92) and a high caliber AFA team vs Kelly's wins over Mich, USC, MSU, Cuse, NC State, LSU, Stanford and NW. Kelly may have faced more teams with seemingly respectable records, but Lou's matchups were decidedly tougher.

Broken down, Lou beat 5 top teams, 10 decent teams, 11 poor teams

Kelly has beaten 8 top teams, 12 decent teams, 6 poor teams.

3 of Lou's top 5 are huge Ws, 4 of Kelly's 6 poor teams should be in another category altogether