rewatched the USC game and a couple of notes
by ttkirish (2019-10-15 20:52:17)
Edited on 2019-10-15 21:00:41

1. Doug Flutie is a douche. Clear interference on 83 and he responds by saying good timing for the defense. WTF? He is clearly anti ND. The NBC crew just isn't very good. How hard is it to find a good crew for ND games? Does not seem like this should be rocket science.

2. Number 14 is special.

3. Number 25: I don't understand why we don't go back to plays that work. He is fast!

4. I wish we had another really good running back that had blazing speed. I think we are suppose to get one next year.

5. USC brought it Saturday night. They played a very good game. They have incredible talent and their receivers are scary good. They had 2 penalties and no turnovers. This was a good win and finally our offensive line looked really good.

6. Did I mention the broadcast crew? They are sub-par at best!

It was a heck of a defensive play.
by tdiddy07  (2019-10-17 08:56:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But he also put his hand on the opposite shoulder. Sometimes that will draw a flag. I have no problem with some contact on an opposite shoulder when a defender is making a play on the ball and wins like that.

If you don't want Turico,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-10-15 23:17:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

please name someone who:

(a) - is available and willing to go under contract with NBC (if not already). Unfortunately, Dick Enberg, Charlie Jones, and Curt Gowdy are all not available.
(b) - is better than Turico. I will take him over Hicks (who is capable) and Tom Hammond.

I have no problem if you want to flush Flutie.

Also, regarding your #3, what about Avery Davis? Where did he go?

Look and suggest anyone you want....but...
by nddad98  (2019-10-16 18:38:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there is no one better than Tirico. Period

I miss Ron Franklin. *
by akaRonMexico  (2019-10-16 15:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“It’s 49-21 sweetheart.” *
by MobileIrish  (2019-10-16 20:16:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ted Robinson... *
by cj  (2019-10-16 13:02:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why did the Niners replace him? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-10-16 13:35:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not sure. I am guessing that they may have
by cj  (2019-10-16 14:06:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wanted him to drop other commitments...

He’d do a great job and complement what is an ND product.
The business of having Flutie is a typical over reach on impartiality.
Ted would destroy that fidget’s color coverage.
Factoid: Ted taught himself to read when he was 2....

Ted: "Mommy I made a book. I'll read it to you..."
by mkovac  (2019-10-16 14:17:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"First, here is a picture of Notre Dame Stadium. See all the angels on the Notre Dame sidelines? Pretty, huh?

And here is picture of Michigan Stadium. See. No angels. Sad face under the picture.

And, here, on the last page is what I wrote. M i C H I G AN S U C K S!"

See, Mommy. I'm a good boy, right?"

Mommy: "You are a very good boy. Now go out and play with your friends. It's your birthday, so everyone gets to hit the Skunkbear Pinata."

It was a Reader's Digest. Ted senior and his mom Maureen
by cj  (2019-10-16 16:11:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

were dumbstruck.... truly a beautiful mind...
Crazy smart...

imo He'd be the perfect guy for the job.

As far as your #1:
by SavageDragon  (2019-10-15 22:42:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you were a professional announcer for football games, would you want to be limited to working only 7 -8 games per year? I assume the answer is "no", and thus, yes it's somewhat hard to find high quality crews for the ND game unless they also work other sports.

I think NBC skimps on the broadcasts too
by Groundhog  (2019-10-16 01:42:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I doubt anyone outside of Tirico is paid a ton.

He has a contract with NBC *
by fbirish  (2019-10-16 12:30:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NBC's lack of expanded CFB offerings hurts so bad.
by OITLinebacker  (2019-10-16 11:54:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They could try a little harder and get more games/teams. There are still some independents in CFB that could play on NBCSN and probably would do it for very little money for the rights. It may not draw a ton of eyeballs, but it would be a good way to break in new talent at all levels (not just the announcers but the entire crew). I'd be willing to bet some of the non-P5 conferences would probably take a lower tier sort of contract in exchange for some national exposure.

NBCSN College PrimeTime game of the week featuring some of the best CFB from teams you might not know but should. Something like that would draw some eyeballs, particularly if the other networks have some snooze fests going on.

Fox/FoxSports has built a decent CFB program and showing. I don't think it would break anybody's heart if ND shopped the TV contract a bit.

I really don't care if we end up with a bit of homerism on the broadcast. The ND-UGA broadcast a few weeks ago featured some heavy rooting interests for the SEC and their network. I don't understand why NBC feels it has to bend over backwards to maintain the illusion that they are a neutral party. I get that they have features and interesting ND stories sprinkled in. It's the calls on the field that they are lukewarm about, it's ADHD producers who are too busy giving us crowd shots, odd angles, or close ups that don't pertain to the play, that drive us crazy.

The time to fix that was in the early 90s
by luckymcd  (2019-10-16 19:47:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NBC Sports was still thriving and expanded sports channels didn't exist yet, so no one thought it was necessary. In hindsight, a loosely based conference of Notre Dame, BC, Navy, Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Miami, Syracuse, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, and Army could have changed the course of conference realignment (or lack thereof). If NBC had worked out a broadcast contract with those teams, it could have been a boon for NBC too.

So, basically the Big East? *
by Irish_Texan  (2019-10-17 13:09:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Before the first ACC raid *
by Piertravlr  (2019-10-17 14:55:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And regarding #5 ...
by Seamus  (2019-10-15 23:00:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

SC wasn't called for only 2 penalties for lack of trying. Their o-line was consistently tackling (not holding) our rushers with the refs apparently looking elsewhere for a manager to bring them a water bottle. They did have a clean game otherwise. I imagine it was actually their best effort so far this season.