Is LSU having a Charlie Weis moment?
by ND_Navy (2020-01-28 11:13:48)

$42 million contract extension right after he looses the star QB and some very important coaches. And then supposedly paying top dollar for a retread DC. Lot of money for Orgeron with his one very successful season.

Loses *
by dulac89  (2020-02-05 08:58:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pelini is no "retread". He was a superb DC
by sprack  (2020-02-01 16:59:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While he didn't set the world on fire at Nebraska as a head coach, he was better than both his predecessor and his successor, not that it matters, because he's a superb DC.

I think Pelini is a fantastic DC hire
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2020-01-29 10:18:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has been a head coach since his success as a DC....not sure that qualifies as a retread.

Didn't he go to YSU to keep receiving a check from Nebraska?
by GolfJunkie17  (2020-01-29 19:36:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought that was the story I heard, he went down a level to keep the money coming in from his Nebraska contract. I find it hard to believe that he stayed at YSU for 4 years because there were no D1 jobs interested in him.

He came home to Youngstown
by BuckeyeJohn05  (2020-01-30 10:18:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was still getting a check from Nebraska, and it was an opportunity to come home, help his brother out and reboot his image . Now that I live in the Youngstown area, I follow the program fairly closely.

What's the story on his brother? *
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2020-02-01 11:37:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An Orgeron turns into a Chizik so easily
by DakotaDomer  (2020-01-28 21:28:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You just got greedy

Nice Simpsons reference. *
by DillonFightSong  (2020-01-30 12:51:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No
by NDAtty  (2020-01-28 15:39:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Orgeron success at LSU >>>>>>>> Weis at ND

Retread DC?
by tdiddy07  (2020-01-28 14:17:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was co-coordinator for the national champion runner up Oklahoma in 2004. He was coordinator for three straight 2-loss, top five LSU teams from 2005-07. The last one won the national championship. After a good but not great performance at Nebraska as a head coach, this is the first time he's been a DC since he was a national championship winning DC.

You left out the most important part.
by 01momanor  (2020-01-28 11:47:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whole winning the national championship with arguably the most dominant season in college football history. Weis got his big extension for losing a close game to USC after he had already lost a close game to MSU that season.

I do understand the difference
by ND_Navy  (2020-01-28 14:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

However, an awful lot of the credit for the dominant season has been given to Joe Brady who left and a QB that had one of the best seasons a QB has ever had in the history of collage football. The OC that stayed was the same OC they had the season before Joe Brady and the offense wasn't great.
I just think it is an awful lot of money to give to a guy who has a history of being a good coach but not a great coach.

Some of your points may have merit, but
by 01momanor  (2020-01-28 16:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the comparison to Weis does not. 15-0 dominant national champions vs. 4-2 in his first season at ND. Maybe Orgeron will be able to continue the success like Saban or Swinney. Maybe he won't. But he's already in another universe from Weis.

OK, I'll buy that *
by ND_Navy  (2020-01-28 16:56:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did Weis(s(es)) win a title? Then no.
by Wooderson  (2020-01-28 11:17:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, they're recruiting like gangbusters, and Orgeron just needs to keep the ship pointed straight.

Adding Pelini as DC is a big get.

I wish Notre Dame could have an LSU moment. *
by voidoid  (2020-01-28 15:33:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post