Jevan Snead
by TWO (2020-01-31 12:45:11)

Might not be a familiar name. He played QB for Texas and then Ole Miss, was highly recruited out of HS. He committed suicide last Sept, he was early 30's and suffering from dementia/CTE. This clip is from a brutal hit he took during the 2010 Cotton Bowl, I think it would be a personal foul in 2020 as a blindside hit and a helmet to helmet, not that calling the foul mitigates the brain damage. I just wonder how long football will be able to continue the way the game is currently played.

A lot of rule changes have been made regarding penalties for head/head contact but they are controversial and unevenly enforced and they still happen a lot in every game. I don't know if better equipment/helmet will ever make a difference as long as player use their heads. I know there is a lot of talk about teaching the players to tackle differently, heads up and all that but does it really seem to be something you can tell the difference with how the players actually play on the field.

How are we going to get RB's and other offensive players to stop lowering their heads when they sense an impending collision?

What's it going to take? Can football change enough to make a difference and still retain the character of the game we all love?

Replies: