38th straight yr with an ND FB recruit from Illinois
by olson (2020-02-03 11:18:06)
Edited on 2021-12-16 12:02:45

assuming recently committed 2021 ND FB recruit- Safety Justin Walters (Bolingbrook, Ill) follows up on his commitment and signed with ND- this will be the 38th straight year ND has had at least one Frosh football recruit from the State of Illinois....( assuming my math is correct)

The last time ND failed to sign a Frosh football recruit from Illinois in a recruiting class was 1983.

In fact, in only 4 recruiting classes since at least 1910(I only looked back to 1910) has Notre Dame failed to recruit a HS player from Illinois...well actually 3

Ara's great Frosh class included the likes of Tom Clements, Eric Penick, Mike Fanning but not a single Illinois prospect...the first time since at least 1910 that ND did not have an Illinois player in a Freshmen recruiting class.

Ironically, this may have been Ara's best recruiting class-but he still caught some grief (at the time) for his failure to recruit the Chicago Catholic League.

Actually, Ara DID recruit one player who lived in Illinois in his final class- Ted Burgmeier QB E. Dubuque, Ill (turned FS, SE and CB at ND)-but Ted played his HS ball across the river in Iowa.

Count it if you want :)

Gerry Faust signed a record 13 Parade AAs in his first class- but not one of the '81 recruits was from Illinois

Faust gave out 28 scholarships (Beuerlein, Alvin Miller, Chuck Lanza among them), but not one recruit was from Illinois.

Other States?

ND had always recruited well in Indiana, Ohio, Pa and a few other States-but there are a number years were the Irish failed to recruit a single player from these States...

This is way off topic, but I have a question for you.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2020-02-03 17:18:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During the Leahy era, at least from'46-'49, ND wore plastic helmets. Then into the mid-to-late '50s (Brennan/Hornung time frame), they went back to leather helmets. Do you have any idea why? Just curious because it seems a bit odd.

What's the record for most recruits from Illinois?
by supernd  (2020-02-03 15:54:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I seem to recall Lou having one with 5. Let's say over the last 50 years.

off the front page
by olson  (2020-02-03 16:25:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

=================

"Stan Smagala with 4.3 speed"
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-02-04 12:51:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tom Pagna after Smagala's pick-6 in the 1988 Southern Cal game.

The 91 class. Is that when Monk Neutered Holtz? *
by supernd  (2020-02-04 12:03:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1991 Class...Nau went to Mount Carmel *
by weirdo0521  (2020-02-04 10:28:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McCabe went to St. Viator *
by crazychester  (2020-02-04 09:47:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

well, I'm looking right at his bio in the '82 FB guide
by olson  (2020-02-04 09:57:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from the 1982 ND Football Guide

#45 John McCabe

LB....6'3....222...18....Freshman....Arlington Heights, Il

Illinois All State linebacker will aid Irish cause at that spot..earned two letters as linebacker and tight end at Arlington High School...captain of squad senior year..etc

roster says McCabe's coach at Arlington HS was Charles Haines

You are correct
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-02-04 10:36:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His own LinkedIn profile lists Arlington HS.

Could have sworn he went to Viator...my bad *
by crazychester  (2020-02-04 13:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Paul Glonek...quite a saga.
by TWO  (2020-02-03 17:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Teaches now at a HS in Glendale Az.

Back then he was a bit bitter about the ND admissions. The story linked said his coaches and parents were shocked that Faust had offered him and that he told him that Paul would be admitted. But he wasn't of course, he only had 1 year of science in HS a fact that put him in the Prop 48 category that Tony Rice was also in, but ND relented to Holtz on Rice.

Illinois didn't admit him either in the end, went to Iowa then Arizona. Had discipline problems and never played in the NFL.

Who was the best?
by Aguirretwog  (2020-02-03 14:13:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Olson, your post re Ara and the CCL got me thinking that even among those who were recruited, there were few standouts. In today's terms Vito R would have been a “5 star” and Tony Carey, Joe Farrell, Nick Rassas et al were already at ND when Ara arrived. Would Terry Brennan also have had the most (only) impactful career of any CCL product during the era of Ara?

also off the front page *
by olson  (2020-02-03 14:40:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Standring came to my parish school to promote Leo...
by Scoop80  (2020-02-03 20:42:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ca. 1971. He wore his ND Cotton Bowl blazer. Leo used to still get guys from 'burbs then--a # of guys from my 8th grade class (including one who was a star RB at Leo) went there.

I saw Bobowski play for St. Viator in his sr. year and my frosh year at Marist. They were ranked #1 in state at time.

Kind of fits ..
by TWO  (2020-02-03 13:06:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with what you've reported about the displeasure/criticism that Ara got over his recruiting in the Chicago Catholic League, that he would have a couple of years where he had no Illinois recruits.