Out of curiosity, why?
by ndzippy (2020-02-05 22:03:13)

In reply to: I like Va Tech's new policy  posted by MukIrish

For the life of me, I’ll never understand why people side with highly-paid coaches (in many cases, obscenely paid) and administrators over student-athletes.

There are so many examples of student-athletes ending up with the short-end of the stick: their coaches bolting, hazing/bullying, gray-shirting, being recruited over, etc.

Why is it so bad when something is introduced that gives them a little bit of freedom/control?

Not the OP, but I don't see your points as a response to his
by NDAtty  (2020-02-06 09:39:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"For the life of me, I’ll never understand why people side with highly-paid coaches (in many cases, obscenely paid) and administrators over student-athletes."

I assume the other player doesn't see it as a coach vs. player issue.

"their coaches bolting, hazing/bullying, gray-shirting, being recruited over, etc."

Not sure what at least most of these things have to do with the VT transfer position. I am certainly against hazing, various recruiting practices, etc. I'd be happy to see something to address those, such as a loosening of transfer rules if a coach leaves.

"Why is it so bad when something is introduced that gives them a little bit of freedom/control?"

The other poster didn't say a loosening of transfer rules was "so bad."

----------------

For my part, I don't yet have an opinion on the VT policy. I am in favor of the increased transfers. Makes a lot of sense to me for a guy like Jurkovec to want to and be able to transfer.

On the other hand, I don't believe that any limit on transfers is a bad idea either for the game or the athletes. From a purely fan standpoint, I'm not sure it helps competition or my interest for athletes to move from team to team, season to season unrestricted. For example, I'd be for at least restricting a player from changing teams 2 years in a row. Not because I am siding with coaches and admins over players. I just think it would make the sport less healthy/interesting.

I'm also not sure that unlimited transfers without any restriction would be good for players. Say someone stays at ND for 3 years working their way up the depth chart. On the verge of starting and now a couple of transfers are brought in over top of them. Now they are in a position of having to think about transfers. I don't think extreme musical chairs would be great for anyone.

What if a player enters the transfer portal 2 or more years in a row and then decides to come back? Do you have to welcome him back with open arms each time? At some point can't you ask if the player wants to be there or somewhere else?

I'm happy to see the loosening of transfer restrictions, but I'm not against all restrictions. Not sure where it is best to draw the line.

My point is that many coaches are bad actors
by ndzippy  (2020-02-06 12:13:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The worst ones have full autonomy and treat players like shit.

Lately, players have gained some additional freedoms. Well, all of the wannabe George Pattons don't like that.

So they bitch and moan about how this makes their jobs more difficult ("I mean, how will we know how many new guys to recruit?") and/or talk shit about players who dare take a look around, ignoring, of course, that they do the same thing on a very regular basis.

I don't care if the new transfer rules make life harder for the millionaire coaches. As Don Draper famously said, "THAT'S WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR".

Where did I say I cared if it made it harder for coaches?
by NDAtty  (2020-02-06 12:44:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't care and didn't say that I did care.

I said:

(1) As a fan, I may prefer some transfer limits.

(2) I'm not sure unlimited and unrestricted transfers are necessarily a great thing for players. I think loosening of the rules is a good thing.

I may be wrong, but that's what I said. Not that I am concerned about things getting harder for coaches.

Don't draw any lines
by TerryD  (2020-02-06 11:57:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coaches can leave at any time and can move from year to year if they so choose.

It is not a smart career move but there are no legal restrictions keeping them from moving. Restraint of trade and all of that.

How may "dream jobs" has Todd Graham had?

Why should there be any restrictions on player transfers when most football scholarships are renewed (or not) on an annual basis?

The whole sitting out a year transfer restriction just helps the schools and punishes the players. Coaches have no such restrictions.

I think that there should be no restrictions and kids should be able to transfer when and where they would like.

It seems so one sided to me, with 18-22 year old kids being restricted but adult university employees not so much.

See my response to ndzippy above
by NDAtty  (2020-02-06 12:48:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On some of these things, why not just address the problems directly? Perhaps scholarships should be made on a 4-year rather than yearly renewal basis. That would more directly address that issue, wouldn't it?

Maybe...but
by TerryD  (2020-02-06 20:25:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...my belief is that coaches would kill that proposal.

Coaching change should be an automatic waiver
by HScorpio  (2020-02-05 22:10:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it basically is with the current NCAA decisions, but I would like it to be an official policy.