Not the OP, but I don't see your points as a response to his
by NDAtty (2020-02-06 09:39:52)

In reply to: Out of curiosity, why?  posted by ndzippy

"For the life of me, I’ll never understand why people side with highly-paid coaches (in many cases, obscenely paid) and administrators over student-athletes."

I assume the other player doesn't see it as a coach vs. player issue.

"their coaches bolting, hazing/bullying, gray-shirting, being recruited over, etc."

Not sure what at least most of these things have to do with the VT transfer position. I am certainly against hazing, various recruiting practices, etc. I'd be happy to see something to address those, such as a loosening of transfer rules if a coach leaves.

"Why is it so bad when something is introduced that gives them a little bit of freedom/control?"

The other poster didn't say a loosening of transfer rules was "so bad."

----------------

For my part, I don't yet have an opinion on the VT policy. I am in favor of the increased transfers. Makes a lot of sense to me for a guy like Jurkovec to want to and be able to transfer.

On the other hand, I don't believe that any limit on transfers is a bad idea either for the game or the athletes. From a purely fan standpoint, I'm not sure it helps competition or my interest for athletes to move from team to team, season to season unrestricted. For example, I'd be for at least restricting a player from changing teams 2 years in a row. Not because I am siding with coaches and admins over players. I just think it would make the sport less healthy/interesting.

I'm also not sure that unlimited transfers without any restriction would be good for players. Say someone stays at ND for 3 years working their way up the depth chart. On the verge of starting and now a couple of transfers are brought in over top of them. Now they are in a position of having to think about transfers. I don't think extreme musical chairs would be great for anyone.

What if a player enters the transfer portal 2 or more years in a row and then decides to come back? Do you have to welcome him back with open arms each time? At some point can't you ask if the player wants to be there or somewhere else?

I'm happy to see the loosening of transfer restrictions, but I'm not against all restrictions. Not sure where it is best to draw the line.

Replies: