Illinois didn't sign one player from Illinois
by Groundhog (2020-02-07 01:16:01)
Edited on 2020-02-07 01:16:32

That seems almost impossible.

very, very unique
by olson  (2020-02-07 15:57:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

r

From that era, Jim Grabowski
by BeijingIrish  (2020-02-08 09:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Taft HS in Chicago if I remember.

off the front page * *
by olson  (2020-02-08 09:40:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Off the front page * *
by olson  (2020-02-08 10:46:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pete played DE for the Broncos.
by BeijingIrish  (2020-02-08 14:32:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is one of the greatest ND players of all time.

4 Rose Bowls in my lifetime.
by BeijingIrish  (2020-02-08 10:37:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

‘47, ‘52, ‘64, ‘84. They haven’t been in 36 years.

I only remember that game for the scoreboard.
by domer4  (2020-02-10 20:05:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know what Dan Kegel and Ted Williams are doing today - they are both in their late 50s - but I hope they made a lot of money along the way.

They went after the 2007 season and won the Big Ten in 2001
by weirdo0521  (2020-02-09 23:56:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Rose Bowl hosted the BCS for the first time, so the Illini went to the Sugar Bowl.

Interesting memories
by nddad98  (2020-02-08 16:35:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looking up the that season's results for the Illini, I was shocked that their first game was played on Sept. 28 against Cal. I was at that game and vividly remember being amazed by Craig Morton and his arm and accuracy as he bounced about a half dozen bullets off receivers numbers on crossing patterns. Could not believe the Illini won that game except that Grabowski kept breaking up the middle for 15 yds. about every 5th play or so and Cal could not run for a yard against Butkus and crew.

Later that year, my Mom and Dad took me to Purdue as Dick Butkus was everywhere(I even bought a soda from him at halftime) as the illini dominated in Ross-Aide on a beautiful Nov. 1 Sat. afternoon.

After Christmas, my parents took a memorable trip to California for the Rose Bowl,which the Illini won. It was a blessing as those kinds of things don't happen often to the program. Neither of them were alums, but Mom's brother, a future chief of surgery at St;Luke's-Presbyterian Hospital, was, as were most folks around central Illinois. Great memories.

What really irked me about the slush fund scandal that crippled the program was that the Illini were not trying to cheat to gain an advantage. They were copying the programs that had been in place for years, first at Michigan, and then at Purdue whose AD had been contacted by Illinois AD Cecil Coleman who was seeking advice on how to go about setting up and funding such a program. Illinois did not have a fund nearly the size of either and only used it to help kids with personal problems who needed travel home to help their families. Neither Michigan nor Purdue had the character anywhere in their schools to step forward and say "wait a minute, we have been doing that for years". All this has been researched and published by a guy named Mike Brumby more than a decade ago, along with a myriad of other facts. Yes, Michigan sucks, but the low life behavior of their administration and athletic dept., charged with teaching and leading the youth of today, deserves no respect and should surprise no one. Michigan was one of the first NCAA schools to be cited for violations and have not stopped in over 100 years.

I presume you're talking about 1963, no?
by BeijingIrish  (2020-02-08 19:19:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Illinois had a bunch of close games that year including the game against an Ara-coached NU team. The Illini won 10-9. That game was the last game Ara would coach in Champaign-Urbana until 1967 when his Irish shellacked the hapless Illini

way off the front page *
by olson  (2020-02-08 11:02:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

White was a California boy.
by BeijingIrish  (2020-02-08 14:26:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He came to Illinois from Cal where his '75 team won the PAC-8. So he knew the landscape. After Illinois he returned to the Bay Area, coached the Raiders for a couple years, then went to the Rams later on, I think. Didn't he replace Gary Moeller at Illinois?

off the front page * *
by olson  (2020-02-08 14:54:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob Blackman was successful everywhere he coached
by BeijingIrish  (2020-02-08 19:00:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

except at Illinois. He tried, but he never had any good players. Which players who were any good wanted to go to Illinois in the early/mid 1970"s? His 1954 team at the University of Denver went 9-1 and won the Skyline Conference title. DU finished #18 in the national rankings, the only time a DU team was ever ranked. He was no slouch.

Butkus?
by Fresno Mike  (2020-02-07 16:39:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I heard or read somewhere once that he didn't go to ND because he was going to get married. Is that true to your knowledge?

I subscribed to Terranova's recruiting newsletter
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-02-07 16:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back in the 70's and early 80's. He usually had a witty one-line snippet about each player. Had a whole collection of recruiting/ND stuff that I threw out 15 years ago because it was just collecting dust.

Terranova was the only one who did recruiting back then...til Lemming got started, circa 1981.

In fact--I'm pretty sure Lemming used to work for Terranova before he branched off because Terranova cited Lemming as 'contributor' in his magazine.

Around that time there was also a joker named Max Emfinger who covered recruiting, based out of the Southwest(Texas?). He was a bullshit artist....I would listen to him on some 50,000 watt radio station--call up and ask him about ND recruiting and I knew more than he did.

He couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I could tell he was just making stuff up. He may have known about Texas and LA recruits--but knew little to nothing about what ND was doing.

Most of their class is from St.Pete/Tampa and St. Louis area
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-02-07 14:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with a few sprinkled in from the Carolina's.

Lovie mentioned that they will hit Indianapolis harder and Houston....because they now have an assistant with ties to that area.
No, I'm not making that up.

Not exactly a recipe for success.

In 4 full recruiting cycles, Lovie has done
by Exit 77  (2020-02-07 12:25:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

miserably in recruiting Illinois. No pipeline established, top in-state kids aren't consistently listing U of I as a top school, and not much being established w/ high school coaches. He has developed a bit of a pipeline from St Louis, which only got stronger when he hired Corey Patterson from Trinity a couple years ago.

Illinois' recruiting plan has been grab bag, at best. Get who you can, from where ever you can. Oh, and go get kids from the portal.

While AD Whitman has taken the long view on Lovie, his recruiting chops don't appear to have much of a plan.