Luke Fickell turned down Michigan State..
by TWO (2020-02-10 10:49:19)

at one point it seemed like it was a done deal. He'd get big bump in salary, get a Power 5 job where you can win, and MSU has upgraded facilities, he knows the Big 10 very well. Seemed like a natural.

Freep is saying that Bret Bielema has interest. He certainly was successful at Wisconsin, flopped at Arkansas though. He was recently hired by Joe Judge for his NY Giants staff.

Foolish little Luke, Fickell little Luke, you didn't want
by ArasEra  (2020-02-14 14:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

them when they wanted you ooo ooo.

You broke their heart and made them cry:

I hear he changes his mind frequently *
by sprack  (2020-02-13 14:31:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought that was a woman's prerogative. *
by PWK2  (2020-02-17 11:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fated to give ‘em the finger *
by Father Nieuwland  (2020-02-14 07:40:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Colorado's Mel Tucker appears to be Spartan's new coach *
by jbrown_9999  (2020-02-12 04:58:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

5 wins @CU gets him a 229% raise and 12th highest paid
by bsuryn  (2020-02-13 23:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coach in cfb at $5.5m/yr per denver area sports talk radio.

I don't think I'd have made the same decision as MSU
by NDAtty  (2020-02-14 10:50:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be happy to back up the truck for a proven coach. I wouldn't overpay just because my first choice turned me down and I didn't want multiple rejections

MSU could presumably have hired most any assistant in the country or any non-P5 head coach. Should find a reasonable number of candidates there.

I'd also be a bit concerned about how it went down. If he has big success, shouldn't come as much of a surprise if he leaves for another program.

one losing season at CU, Mich St fans much be thrilled *
by ColoNDFan  (2020-02-12 16:01:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2 CU grads I work with are very disappointed to lose him
by sprack  (2020-02-13 14:35:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They say the team looked 100% better under him than before, with a roster that's pretty thin on talent.

I don't really agree with that
by jt  (2020-02-13 15:08:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I've been to several games both years and met both coaching staffs.

Mac (whom I didn't really like to be honest) did a good job rebuilding the program and had a really good year in 16. In 18 he had a ton of injuries and despite starting off pretty well they faded badly down the stretch. Personal feelings aside, I think that they should have stuck with him. I think that they had pretty good talent last year and they still finished about the same and even got blown out some games. They lost to AFA on their own home field and that was a big disappointment, though they did beat Nebraska.

Overall I would say that the staff was an upgrade, especially the OL coach. Tucker always seemed like a short timer, and I don't think that they would have minded it had "short time" been 2 or 3 years and he had them back on track with recruiting and development, etc.

They better be, he's costing MSU a lot of money.
by TWO  (2020-02-13 10:05:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Reportedly they are paying his 3M buyout at Colorado, and paying him 5.5M/year which is more than HOF Basketball coach Tom Izzo who has a Nat'l Championship and multiple final fours.

So expectations have to be high if they are paying that kind of cash. I don't think Dantonio left him a loaded roster so I hope they are patient, because it's going to take awhile for him to rebuild the roster so he can compete with Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. I don't think solid 4th place is the Big 10 West is what they are paying for with that salary.

The new 1 and done... football coaches. *
by TWO  (2020-02-12 11:56:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but as long as the kids are still bound by their LOI
by jt  (2020-02-12 13:08:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and they can't make any money off of their name, image, and likeness than it is still amateur sports.

Soln: Everybody is a free agent!!
by TWO  (2020-02-12 13:30:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everybody is happy, they don't have to suffer a bad decision!

Eric Bieniemy is lead candidate for the job at Colorado *
by irishrock  (2020-02-12 09:20:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sleeping with Bieniemy: The Ty Dettmer Story
by TAR  (2020-02-17 07:58:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Classic bookstore name

he's my age
by irishrock  (2020-02-17 16:18:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a couple of my high school teammates played in the old Big 8 and Bieniemy was the hardest/toughest guy to tackle in the conference. He's like 5'6" and was built like a brick shit house. One of my guys says that a hard tackle left him with "ice cream" head...meaning the feeling you get when you eat too much ice cream.

Those teams were good...and Notre Dame was better

I don't think so. Darin Chiaverini
by jt  (2020-02-12 10:32:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

anyone else (Bienemy included) will set the program back years.

Darin has been involved in recruiting and is a CU guy going back years (played there, coached there, etc.). He has a relationship with all the guys that have been there and everyone who just signed their LOI.

Even if it is just as an interim, it needs to be chev.

his uncle was a boxer in KC
by irishrock  (2020-02-12 13:29:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went to a lot of his fights when I was a little kid (boxing used to be great)

He got his one shot against Sugar Ray Leonard...TKO at end of first round

Bieniemy would have to be a sentimental favorite. Played in the great era of the late 80's/early 90's, played under McCartney, played in Orange Bowl...name recognition ought to get him some play with recruits

Does Colorado recruit LA any longer...it seemed like 70% of the team back in that era hailed from LA

he was OC under Jon Embree
by jt  (2020-02-12 17:08:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it, uh.......didn't go very well.

His name has been mentioned. Truth is though, if they don't hire Chev they will set the program back years. He knows and recruited all the players and he is the face of recruiting. They will likely lose every verbal and will burn bridges almost anywhere.

If they pass on him, he'll likely leave and they had better have a home run lined up. Unless it is someone like Mike Shanahan, they should hire Chev.

Forgot to answer your question--yes, CU tries to recruit Southern Ca very hard. That was one of their big reasons for wanting to join the Pac 12.

quietly, I agree
by irishrock  (2020-02-12 20:56:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in KC, it's supposed to be all about Bieniemy getting a HC gig in the NFL...I don't know why, but I don't see it. Reid is known for running and calling the offense. I'm just unsure on what his influence in KC has been.

Peterson at Philly...done a nice job. Nagy in Chicago...reviews are VERY mixed to negative. As you and I both know, it's a QB league and if you have one, you'll look like a good HC...if you don't, you won't.

Well, he might get the job
by jt  (2020-02-12 23:35:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just think that it would be the wrong choice for both parties.

I happen to know of a candidate who would CRUSH up there
by ndzippy  (2020-02-10 15:15:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His initials are BK, and he's won 33 games in 3 years at a premier program.

Ty is also rested and ready and an MSU grad to boot. *
by OITLinebacker  (2020-02-11 09:43:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two wins against Michigan *
by Wishbone25  (2020-02-11 18:16:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And a 38-0 complete wipeout loss
by sprack  (2020-02-13 14:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was in Michigan Stadium that day. One of the worst sports experiences of my life.

How about 45-14 in the rain?
by domer4  (2020-02-15 07:59:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was there in 2003 too - at least it was a day game and the weather was nice and sunny.

And it was just the start of TW's second season - so perhaps you didn't really know what you were getting.

This past October, in the pouring rain of a night game, you knew what you were already getting in BK.

CRUSH, you say? Perhaps ... Purple CRUSH?
by SavageDragon  (2020-02-10 22:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Deja vu.... *
by cj  (2020-02-10 19:26:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All over again *
by PabloFanque  (2020-02-10 22:15:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not all that surprised.
by tdiddy07  (2020-02-10 10:52:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I ordinarily wouldn't think MSU couldn't get a UC coach. But Fickell is a loyal Ohio guy. It took him a long time to be interested in leaving OSU for another job. And he had adopted UC in a way that his predecessors have not. I don't think he'd like going up against the Buckeyes. I think he's one of the rare guys who really is happy with what he's doing. And it'd take a job he views as a title-contending job for him to change that. UC is also a higher-profile job than when Dantonio left for MSU.

I’m pretty surprised.
by Freight Train  (2020-02-10 11:40:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I actually think UC is a better program than MSU right now. However, MSU’s ceiling is much higher. UC has a lot of alumni but the support for the football program is not very deep. The stadium is very small and it’s rarely full. UC fans are first and foremost UC basketball and OSU football fans.

For all its problems, MSU fans bleed green and white. That’s just not the case for UC football and I don’t see that changing for a LONG time unless Fickell stays and wins big there for 20 years. OSU has been the dominant program in the state for 80 years or so and there are no other instate programs that even come close. MSU is and will always be second fiddle to UM but the gap between those two is far narrower than that between OSU and any other Ohio school.

Ohio State is to Ohio as LSU is to Louisiana. Maybe Fickell is holding out for OSU. if so, he’s going to wait a long time. I am puzzled by his decision to stay. I know his family really likes the city of Cincinnati but I am still puzzled.

MSU is a bit interesting
by NDAtty  (2020-02-11 10:24:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A good job in a good conference. Nice fan support. Lots of the elements for decent success.

On the other hand, they are the clear 4th in their half of the Big 10. It will be tough for them to surpass any of the 3 ahead of them on a consistent and lasting basis.

If they were in the Big 10 West, I think a good coach would give them a chance to compete to go to the Big 10 title game on a somewhat regular basis. Would take a fantastic coach to do so in the East.

So you're saying that Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska
by jbrown_9999  (2020-02-18 08:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are not at the same level as Ohio St, Penn St, and Michigan?

I am not sure how anyone thinks the Big 10 East/West divisions are fair.

I think it’s more about Fickell’s personality.
by tdiddy07  (2020-02-10 13:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was very slow to leave OSU and view another job as a stepping stone. UC has become just successful enough to feel like he can still build something where he’s comfortable. And unlike Kelly, I believe him when he says he sees Cincinnati as a long-term home.

As for desirability, you’re certainly correct regarding UC’s celeb game. But I’d guess based on my memory of class rankings and geography (but would have to confirm) that Fickell has won some recruiting battles with MSU lately and he sees a ceiling. Of course being able to recruit Ohio would be in Fickell’s favor. But ultimately he sees a similar ceiling at MSU. Saban left. Dantonio, who I think is an excellent coach, topped out at being blown out by Alabama.

I’d guess that if he left for another job, it’d only be a place where he thinks he could win a title. And he probably wouldn’t stray outside the midwest unless offered a tier 1 program with recent major success.

I went to 5th and 6th grade in Cincinnati
by Tex Francisco  (2020-02-10 11:54:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was sufficiently long ago that my memory may be fuzzy, but I remember it being, much more than anything else, a pro sports city. UC basketball and Xavier basketball definitely had their followings, but the Reds and Bengals dominated the market. UC football and even Ohio State football were not big at all. This was during a down period of OSU football, so I'm sure it's different now.

I think it’s a pretty big college basketball city but
by beancounter  (2020-02-11 13:37:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

allegiances are split not only UC and Xavier but also UK and Louisville and even some IU.

There’s a lot more UC football interest now and Ohio State fans have come crawling out of the woodwork (while Bengals fans have crawled back into it.)

Quite right
by novadamer  (2020-02-10 18:33:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My daughter and son-in-law, both Buckeyes, live in the Cincinnati metro area now and they both comment how few OSU fans are there.

Cinncitucky. *
by golfjunkie17  (2020-02-11 21:11:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, there are a lot of Buckeye fans here.
by beancounter  (2020-02-11 13:31:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Far fewer Buckeye necklaces than you would see in Columbus though.

i think it just depends on the company you keep...
by joeyg  (2020-02-10 23:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I live north of Cincinnati and I find alot of Buckeye fans in West Chester. I have to be the only OSU alum who flies a Notre Dame flag from Labor Day thru Thanksgiving.

This town likes their Bengals but loves their Reds and the local schools/universities are considerably down the list of fan favorites.

Buckeye by birth; Irish forever.