USC paying $725K to walk away from their first FCS game.
by G.K.Chesterton (2020-02-20 13:06:04)

They will thus remain FCS virgins along with Notre Dame and UCLA.

On January 17, 2020, USCFootball.com reported that USC was actively trying to replace Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) program UC Davis on its 2021 football schedule with a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) opponent. We have now received confirmation from USC athletic director Mike Bohn that UC Davis has been informed that the game is canceled.

Bohn joined hosts Ryan Abraham and Keely Eure on the Peristyle Podcast and broke the news that the game has been canceled. When Eure asked about the possibility of canceling the game, here is what Bohn had to say:

"Well, I'm happy to tell you that we have informed UC Davis that we intended to cancel that game," Bohn said. "We are in the final stages of formalizing an agreement with another FBS opponent to replace UC Davis, and I have to give our donors and fans a lot of the credit. When I arrived, I committed to listening and learning; and the feedback from our fans was clear. Preserving our history is critically important to us and to our fans, so we worked to make that happen."

Replies: