off the front page (link)
by olson (2020-03-04 13:57:41)
Edited on 2020-05-12 09:52:23

This user did not provide content for this post

I love reading your posts
by JACC1203  (2020-03-08 23:42:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always enjoy learning something new about the history of ND FB.

I hope you continue to do this as I'm more than just a little interested in reading about "missed recruits" from the 1980s-90s.

You are a national treasure! *
by Camarillo Brillo  (2020-03-06 20:26:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Man, I hope you are saving these & I'd buy a book! *
by irish2003  (2020-03-06 14:55:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love these posts. Thanks. *
by Fresno Mike  (2020-03-06 00:29:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a great read! I really enjoyed it. *
by Dennis  (2020-03-05 12:38:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know John Pont's name from his coaching Northworstern,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-03-04 22:13:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

since I grew up in the 70's.

Those teams were awful. He never lost fewer games than the previous year. I just looked and his Wikipedia page has him at 5-6 his first year, but Northwestern's 1973 page shows he went 4-7 his first year, so his record is even worse than I thought.

He coached against ND in the first four of his five years at Northworstern and lost by a combined total of 172-10.

Johnny Pont was a Realist
by aguirretwog  (2020-03-04 23:02:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the fall of 1974 I was in grad school at Northwestern. On Friday nights before home games the NU coaches would stop off for a few beers at Meier’s Tavern on Lake Street. The night before the ND game, after a few pops at the bar I wandered over and asked Coach Pont “Coach I went Notre Dame and am in grad school at Northwestern. Who should I be for tomorrow?” (I was just trying to be polite, I could have cared less about NU sports.) He said with a smile “Be for the Wildcats, we need you a helluva lot more than they do.” He was right, the next day the Irish won 49-3.

Was it DAB and tots back then? *
by rick  (2020-03-05 09:43:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And ever thus
by aguirretwog  (2020-03-05 20:54:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was then and it still is - there also was a jukebox on the west wall back then which is long gone

Good on him. At least he didn't tell you off. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-03-04 23:17:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That PU game was my first ND game...
by Scoop80  (2020-03-04 22:09:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My father & I rode with some neighbors, including the inventor of the Keebler elves, who remains one of the biggest ND fanatics I have ever met. My main memory of that loss was the level of post-game despondency in ND section. A pall was cast over the season b/c of a close road loss to a rival that was enjoying a period of sustained success. That initial exposure colored my perception of program expectations ever since.

Isenbarger was my favorite IU player
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-03-04 15:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was only 7 at the time but I recall he was fun to watch. Good old #17. Would have loved to have seen him play for ND. It seems like after he left,Indiana pretty much went into a 50 year drought.

Are you sure he passed away? Looked up the obit and his dad(same first name) passed away last October.