moving on *
by olson (2020-03-16 15:39:12)
Edited on 2020-05-08 08:39:20

This user did not provide content for this post

Humm's visit to ND did not go well..
by Scoop80  (2020-03-18 13:41:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still recall his HS principal muttering about it after the 1/73 OB. An uncle of mine (now deceased) was a Viatorian, and he was based in LV from 1960-70. The Viatorians founded Bishop Gorman. We had a large group vacationing down here who attended that OB, including my uncle and his fellow Viatorian who had been the Gorman principal when Humm went there. After NU routed the Irish, I will never forget said principal bemoaning the fact that Parseghian apparently didn't give Humm sufficient attention during his visit to ND.

BTW, Cefalo has done radio play by play on Dolphins broadcasts for several years now. Bob Griese and Joe Rose handle color. Cefalo is really good.

My Brother-in-law played against Gary Jeter in HS
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-03-17 17:51:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I asked him about it last year.

He was an OL lined up across from Jeter and he told me Jeter threw him and the other OL around like rag dolls. Jeter stomped on my BIL's face mask after he body slammed him and got his huge foot wedged and tangled in the helmet. Jeter sprained his foot/ankle and it knocked him out the rest of the game.
My BIL said he was hailed as a hero by his team for saving his teammates some more butt-whippings.

off the front page *
by olson  (2020-03-17 15:13:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I visited the Cole Field House in the early 80's, there
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-03-19 22:14:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

were posters of two famous MD grads that could be found on the walls. One was of Randy White and that other was of a toothy blonde actress/model, but I cannot recall who it was. I thought it was Susan Anton but that's not correct.

Got me thinking - a question only you could answer
by NH74Domer  (2020-03-17 16:45:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

IF Disco Dom did follow his St Francis Prep brethren to ND, stayed at least a year and still wound up with the Yanks in '78 he would have been a member of championship teams in two different sports. Would Quirk had qualified if he came to ND and still wound up playing for the Royals?

I think we've had ND athletes who've done this. and - IIRC - you've actually covered this at one point (or you are about to :>)

Gordon Bell to Michigan might be because Bo was on
by NH74Domer  (2020-03-16 21:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ara's staff at Northwestern.

Great stuff as usual!

Nit: Greg Bell played for ND. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-03-16 23:27:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

off the front page *
by olson  (2020-03-17 10:34:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bell was also on a very, very good Bookstore BB team.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-03-17 23:57:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could play.

Terrific athlete *
by Son of Galway  (2020-03-18 00:20:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks - corrected *
by NH74Domer  (2020-03-17 07:53:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

off the front page *
by olson  (2020-03-16 22:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Schembechler said Ara's job at Northwestern
by irishrock  (2020-03-17 08:49:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was the best coaching job he'd ever seen in his career...although they lost every game.

He said they were hamstrung at QB and that every coaching session, Ara was incredibly upbeat and kept up a positive vibe the entire time. At one point the AD pushed for his son to get a chance at QB and Ara pushed back on it every time.

I have a feeling that everybody liked Ara, but that may be just me.

Baschnagel was on IR in 1985 with the Bears and got a ring.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-03-16 18:06:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spelling correction: It's Don Hasselbeck, not Hasselback, and yes, he is the father of Matt Hasselbeck and Tim Hasselbeck, both former NFL quarterbacks (see link below).

This is GREAT reading - thanks as always!