Our team made the Observer headline on day 1 that year.
by Notra_Dahm (2020-03-22 13:15:05)

In reply to: moved on  posted by olson

We went into the tournament with a plan. Every year, the headline the first day was about the biggest blowout - usually one of the teams with three varsity players on it, crushing some sad opponent. Our goal was to be that sad opponent, to get the free advertising for our candidate for Ugliest Man on Campus. Fate smiled upon us, and we pulled the team with Doug Becker, Randy Haefner, and Randy Harrison, I think.

My hand-picked team featured a couple of accounting majors (wearing their glasses) and the piccolo player from the band. Together, they may have weighed less than Becker and a case of beer. Their team arrived with a large crowd of supporters, who surrounded the court to cheer them on, and abuse the opposition. That quickly changed, as it immediately became obvious that we were there for the advertisements on our T-shirts, not to play ball. They beat us 21-0, and we got the headline and opening paragraph the next day.

The only notable moment for us was the first play of the game. A friend warned me that Haefner was going to set up in the corner, and they would pass it to him, and he, being a gunner, would take the first shot of the corner. My friend, who had played them the year before, told me that I absolutely had to run over to the corner and block his shot into the cheap seats - he wouldn't be expecting that. As they worked the ball around to Haefner, there was nothing to do but follow the scouting report, and boy was he surprised when his shot got swatted into and through the game on the next court. Their crowd of fans seemed very appreciative of the entertainment value of that play, and gave him a lot of grief. That ended the competitive portion of the afternoon, however, as retribution was swift and ugly.