While redemption is always possible
by KnightlyRevue (2020-04-03 15:02:56)

In reply to: After what had to be the greatest year in his life..  posted by TWO

Ed Orgeron has a really nasty domestic violence case in his past that not only resulted in a restraining order but also a court mandated 26 week domestic abuse counseling class. I have always found it difficult to look past that and just see him as a good ol' southern gentlemen that ESPN and other media outlets attempt to throw forth.

That's true, but it was 30 years ago
by HScorpio  (2020-04-04 21:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't know the details of the case but he was 29 or 30 when it happened. Obviously that's old enough to know right from wrong, but it's possible he is a different person now. It seems like he just had a rough span in his personal life around that time, with a couple arrests. He ended up taking a leave of absence from coaching for a few years and seemingly got everything straightened out.

But like I said, I don't know the details of him or his legal affairs. It's possible he's still a violent guy.

It’s true in that he was an alcoholic
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-04-05 17:17:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I do know some of the details, such as punching his partner in the face repeatedly and dragging her down a flight of stairs by the hair. As you say, it was 30 years ago while dealing with a disease that he seems to have beaten. There is something about the nature of that level of violence against a woman though that I find abhorrent under any circumstance.