At least Fromm is home. Should Brady Quinn's agent
by rgvirish (2020-04-26 11:19:23)

have advised Quinn to stay home for that first round?
It hurt me to watch as he kept getting passed up and eventually going home undrafted that first day.
I know it's no big deal and I probably took it harder than he did, but I thought it was an embarrassment that could have been foreseen.

Perhaps it made him a bit tougher
by SEE  (2020-04-28 08:41:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the media glare. I useful thing in his new gig.

QB draft is different
by SixShutouts66  (2020-04-26 13:01:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's rare to reach the SuperBowl with a mediocre QB, with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco being some of the exceptions. As a consequence, the search for a "franchise QB" causes many college quarterbacks to be drafted earlier than their ranking as "best player" would indicate.

Conversely, once teams have settled in for their starting quarterback they draft for immediate and short term needs. They're not willing (except for the inept franchises) to expend an early pick for a backup QB. So after the first couple of rounds QBs go into free fall (see Jacob Eason).

Fromm's situation was made was by the availability of Jameis Winston and Cam Newton, which seemingly narrowed the number of QB slots open.

Ironically Fromm beat out two QBs at Georgia (Eason and Justin Fields) who were and probably will be drafted higher.

There were a bunch of mediocre QBs to reach the SB
by veets  (2020-04-27 08:17:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not many great quarterbacks in this group. Great season? OK. Great playoff run? Sure. Career backups? Many

Doug Williams
Neil O'Donnell
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Earl Morrall
Billy Kilmer
Craig Morton
Vince Ferragamo
David Woodley
Tony Eason
Jim McMahon
Kerry Collins
Stan Humphries
Chris Chandler
Brad Johnson
Jake Delhomme
Matt Hasselbeck
Rex Grossman
Colin Kaepernick
Nick Foles

An offensive tackle who was picked early in the first
by 1978Irish  (2020-04-26 11:41:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

round went fishing during the draft. That is what I would do. Get away and find out what happened afterwards.

I believe that was Joe Thomas from Wisconsin. He was heavily
by Bellcon  (2020-04-28 11:53:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

recruited by Notre Dame and I was bummed when he chose the Badgers. He is one of the best players I have seen play left tackle.

It was & he went fishing with his dad! *
by harv79pangborn  (2020-04-30 10:38:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cleveland drafted him 22d in the first round.
by St. Pete St.  (2020-04-26 11:29:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It took forever, but he was drafted on the first day.

He was drafted sooner than Aaron Rodgers. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-04-26 13:33:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Quinn got drafted on the first day, just later than expected *
by GolfJunkie17  (2020-04-26 11:28:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was also pre-3-day draft
by gordonbombay  (2020-05-05 12:10:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So the first day was the first 3 rounds.

The whole charade lasted about as long as the first round/night does today (as had Rodgers 2 years prior), so it's an understandable error.

Like usual, my memories of the event were wrong. For some
by rgvirish  (2020-04-26 12:58:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

reason I remember him headed home unpicked that first day.

The coverage made it embarrassing, not the fact he dropped *
by GolfJunkie17  (2020-04-26 16:32:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post