Ty ignored Texas. I see five scholarship players in 2004 .
by tdiddy07 (2020-04-29 15:31:33)
Edited on 2020-04-29 15:40:33

In reply to: To be fair, the roster he inherited also had just 4 from TX  posted by ndzippy

The 2004 team inherited 2 fifth year seniors from the recruiting class of 2000 (Holiday and Curry), zero from Davie's class of 2001, and 2 from the class of 2002 (Leitko and Bobby Morton). Leitko committed to Ty late. I believe he was waiting for a Stanford offer that didn't come. Willingham signed a punter (Price) in 2003 and no one in 2004.

As an aside, he also had no one in 2005 when he was fired. Weis later got a three star 213 pound linebacker for the 2005 class that Ty presumably was recruiting before. But I know Weis picked up a few guys on his own that year.

By comparison, Davie's 2000 class also included Duff, Bible, and Omar Jenkins, who did not have eligibility in 2004 (5 total from that class). And in 1999, Davie signed 3 from Tx and 2 from OK. Willingham didn't target Texas.

Weis definitely focused more on the east coast, California, and Florida. East Coast was his strenght, like Texas was Davie's strength. Weis only had scholarship players in Chris Stewart, Tauch (kicker) and KLM. Kevin Washington had left the program by that point, like much of the 2005 class. That's similar to Willingham's attention.

It's been a long time since we gave Texas the time of day. But at least during Ty and Weis, UT had the state locked up by May of players' junior years. Kelly certainly had plenty of opportunity to get into Texas.