While finishing school I was working at Cellular One.
by cmhirish (2020-05-02 21:31:47)
Edited on 2020-05-02 21:37:00

In reply to: you witnessed this? Holy moly! *  posted by novadamer

It was a Saturday, which meant closing at noon. There was a bit of a stir when the first player showed up sometime between 1030-1100. I remember being asked "Is that so-and-so?"
"I can't really tell... yep. Sure is. What's he doing?"
"Getting a phone"
"Oh yeah? In what?"
"In that over there" (nodding in direction of new SUV).
"Really? Wow. I wonder what that's about."

We thought maybe he was helping one of his parents pull off a surprise for the other, which was not an uncommon gesture in those days. Getting a phone installed in your car provided safety for you and your loved ones. It was a status symbol. It was cool. And as it turned out, it could be used to help convince select athletes yours was the right program for them.

However, I didn't put it together until about an hour later when the next player showed up. The last two didn't show up until about 5 minutes before noon. I remember them being far more enamored with their new wheels than in getting a phone. It was pretty apparent they hadn't seen each other's rides, though not one was surprised by what their teammates were driving.

Closing time. I didn't hang around, mine and everyone else's day was done, save the store manager and his crony tech. Out of curiosity I looked up the old building. Looks like it shares tenants now, but back then Cell One had the whole thing.