Offensive coordinator is intense on gameday
by golfjunkie17 (2020-05-03 18:32:33)

In reply to: I'm nowhere near as negative about Tom's new job ...  posted by Barney68

Things happen fast and you need to be able to adapt and adjust faster than the opponent’s coaching staff. The most important attribute for offensive coordinators at the highest levels is experience (obviously, IMO). There’s no level of playing quarterback that can prepare you for the gameday experience of commanding the offense in total, because playing quarterback is absolutely nothing like coordinating the offense. Likewise, there is not a gene passed from parent to child that bypasses the value of experience in the position. Further, if you’re essentially learning on the job, how much does that impact other facets of the position, such as recruiting?

I hope TR does well, in spite of his glaring deficiencies in the experience department. I am not confident, but I hope I am wrong. My fear is he becomes a puppet/proxy for BK to meddle in the offense, and a scapegoat if things go poorly.

It is compounded at ND because we don't play a set schedule
by btd  (2020-05-03 19:57:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like conferences do. Conferences have very well defined offenses and defenses across all teams in the conference. You play close to the exact same schedule every year. That translates into you install a specific kind of offense (or defense) that largely works across the entire conference.

ND plays every major conference plus triple option teams like Navy every year. We also rotate teams from the conferences and rotate across conferences across seasons. The net result is the OC and the DC have to be able to handle a much wider variety of defenses (or offenses for DC) each season. Remember Diaco having absolutely no clue what to do with triple option? He'd never seen it before.

Layer on top of this that we presently have a totally failed offensive system -- and that failed system is the only one Rees have ever known. What basis does he have to draw upon to change the offense into one that can actually win a playoff game -- and ideally a title game too? None. That's the reason why hiring Rees is a major problem for most people.

5 to 10 years from now he may have the experience needed to adjust real-time like a Lou Holtz during a game to something unexpected a DC throws at him. Short of camps, video and a small miracle -- he has no method to learn a different offense and how to implement it at ND.

Taking your argument and reversing it: Rees is one ...
by Barney68  (2020-05-04 08:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the few people who has experienced playing that kind of a schedule and working to attack all those kinds of defenses.

To be clear, I'm not asserting that he will be a success, I'm asserting that I'm not as unhappy as many posters here; I think there's a good chance he'll be a success despite the weaknesses, such as his resume, that have been discussed simply because I see some strengths as well.

Time will, presumably, tell ...

The problem with your Navy point is that we play annually
by ndzippy  (2020-05-04 06:50:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which means the triple option shouldn’t catch anybody off guard. That was simply an example of Diaco doing a bad job.

No. The point was unlike a conference, we play a mix of
by Btd  (2020-05-06 16:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Systems because we play across conferences. Conferences are almost all uniform top to bottom on their systems. That was the point. Even though we know navy we still devote specialized time in preseason and in every week leading up to the game to prepare players for that system.

Diaco is an example of an inexperienced coordinator. Unable to adjust. Doesn’t know how to prepare. Navy made a minor tweak and he was blown away during the game.