RIP Don Shula.
by Bacchus (2020-05-04 10:32:54)

Dead at age 90.

I remember going to his place up in Niles. *
by SWPaDem  (2020-05-08 12:50:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was an iconic figure...
by Scoop80  (2020-05-04 12:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I posted my initial thoughts in the linked BR post. I'll always wonder about his rumored interest in the ND job. His relationship w/ Fins owner J. Robbie were at a nadir about the time that Parseghian retired, but Devine, Joyce's 2d choice from 1963, was about to get terminated in GB, so Joyce made that move.

Lou Pagley, a classmate of mine who never played at ND, played in a couple of Fins preseason games while Marino and Strock both held out in '85. Pagley wrote a long article about that experience for the local paper. He made a comparison about playing for Shula and Devine that didn't favor Devine.

He coached 3 different HOF QB's (Unitas, Griese, Marino) w/ very different skill sets. Admittedly, after 3 good years to start Marino's career, their remaining 10 years together weren't as successful.

I attended 1 of his more memorable games--the epic playoff game v. SD on 1/2/82. Fins fell behind 24-0 early and came back to force OT. On final play of 1st half, down 24-10 w/ ball near midfield, he called a pass & lateral play that went for a TD. The crowd exploded in a way that I have seen few crowds ever explode.

As D. LeBatard noted, he made most every subsequent Fins HC look like a used car salesman by comparison. J. Johnson waiting in the wings had a lot to do w/ Shula's departure after '95 season. Johnson's 4 year record w/ Fins ended up not being as good as Shula's last 4 years, which were deemed to be unacceptable.

Finally, the Shula clan, which was resentful of Mike's termination at AL, got Saban's staff banned from the St. Thos. Aquinas campus for about a year or so after AL hired Saban. The irony of that was that Saban sent his daughter to STA when he coached the Fins.

I briefly spoke w/ him 15 years ago about the '75 rumors
by oldtownirish  (2020-05-04 15:43:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He said they'd been spawned by a conversation during a golf outing that year with Johnny Lujack. Apparently, Shula mentioned his affinity for ND, and it led to lots of talk about a quick replacement of Devine.

Amazing how fast that rumor spread without the internet *
by 1978Irish  (2020-05-05 13:49:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was allegedly approached but turned down interest.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-04 13:43:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Notre Dame alumnus, presumably speaking on behalf of the university, once approached Shula in the late '60s, early '70s about coaching the Fighting Irish. It had always been Shula's life ambition to play and someday coach at Notre Dame.

"But after I got into the NFL, I didn't want to go back into college coaching," he says.

His place in ND lore would have been legendary *
by The Flash  (2020-05-04 13:30:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bum Phillips on Don Shula:
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-04 12:19:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“He can take his’n and beat your’n, or he can take your’n and beat his’n.”

NYJ would disagree with that.
by 84david  (2020-05-07 10:10:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So would the niners and redskins

And Cowboys *
by tf86  (2020-05-28 22:41:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pronounced “urine” *
by Fastenatingguy  (2020-05-05 19:19:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is my problem with Nagy and the Bears. He doesn’t
by 1978Irish  (2020-05-05 13:52:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seem to want to adjust his offense to fit his players. He would play the same offense with Tom Brady as he would with Trubisky

Sounds familiar *
by Stonebreaker42  (2020-05-05 18:58:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Supposedly he said that about Bear Bryant. I never liked the
by ArasEra  (2020-05-04 15:34:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

quote, but to each his own. Just a bit too folksy for me like some of Keith Jackson's shtick.

The one that cracks me up is who said "...act like you've been there before."

That's been attributed to Vince Lombardi, Joe Paterno, Bear Bryant, Paul Brown, Bud Grant, Lou Holtz, etc.