Man, sadly you're right on that
by Irish2003 (2020-06-10 16:34:58)

In reply to: Not sure it's inexplicable *  posted by elterrible

(I had actually once gone through year by year results during a boring winter day, and the voters ended up with a lot of ok/acceptable winners, but also nearly as many disasters as clear-cut winners)

Golden Boy was a helluva all-around player both for us and Green Bay, and Majors certainly had an illustrious career as a player & coach too (3rd was OU WR Tommy McDonald, and 4th was OU C/LB -not a typo! - Jerry Tubbs), but Brown is on the very shortlist for greatest player of all time. I think most sports fans know he was also one of the best lacrosse players ever too, but I had no idea he was also a double-digit scorer for Syracuse basketball and 5th in the nation for the decathlon - for my money, he's up with Jim Thorpe and a healthy Bo Jackson for greatest American athlete ever. The racial prejudice if not outright racism was terrible, and another blog also mentioned that both OU and ND had a massive national footprint whereas Syracuse was a regional school and played a shorter schedule.