I don't agree with this
by jt (2020-06-18 17:23:13)

In reply to: The real issue is if you sign him you can't cut him.  posted by akaRonMexico

again, if he falls on his face people will recognize that. The NFL is a meritocracy.

Also, I doubt that he would be in demand for a big money contract anyway.

The decision on #2 qb is typically highly subjective
by Doggie  (2020-06-19 21:06:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is often quite messy over the choice of #2 and often a financial based one. Sure, if he outright stinks it will be easy to cut him. But there is a good chance that it won't be a clear cut choice especially if he can rack up good looks/stats vs 2nd and 3rd team scrubs. We all know the instant stars born in pre-season who can't tie their shoes when it counts.

On top of that, one of the jobs of the #2 guy is getting the #1 guy ready every week. Is CK good at that and/or would he accept that role? Sure, it is easy to back up a Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers type but what if he ends up backing up at Jacksonville /Tennessee /Bronco/Redskins'Chargers where the second the starter struggles, there will be instant questioning/demand by some that CK be given a shot.

I'm betting if he gets a chance and gets cut, there will still be those that will say that he got screwed/didn't get a fair chance because of his social stances. Any team that cuts him will end up having to bend over backwards to justify a decision that most people wouldn't even question. I'd hate to be the guy who makes the team in front of him because folks will have the microscope on him.

These arguments are so silly
by jt  (2020-06-22 20:35:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretending to know what is in another man's mind, trying to justify not signing him because of a perceived backlash if he gets cut, etc.

It's decided on the field. Guys are cut all the time.

Seconded. The players know. * *
by Voisman  (2020-06-18 21:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His salary expectations need to match his contribution
by knutesteen  (2020-06-18 19:33:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he plays well enough to be a starter, he should be so paid. I would never have hesitated to sign him if he could help my team win games. That being said, perhaps his contract needs to be incentive-laden to allow reality to match compensation.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that US pro sports need to stop playing the National Anthem at the beginning of entertainment events...we don't have them at rock concerts, Broadway shows (do we?), so why at sporting events? That would render the entire controversy moot. If our National team is playing another country, that's one thing, but if the Giants are playing the 49ers, who cares if the National Anthem is played? What does that have to do with what will ensue on the field?

Perhaps they do
by jt  (2020-06-22 20:41:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, don't forget that whomever signs him is going to immediately have the #1 selling jerseys (including alternate). There is definitely upside financially for the team.