the bottom line is this: locker rooms and gyms and dorms
by ACross (2020-06-22 12:09:07)

In reply to: Texas is up to 13 Confirmed + Football Players.  posted by TWO

and any other environment with increased density and repeated, prolonged and close interaction is a bad idea.

Don't get me started with lines of scrimmage and bursts of intense physical activity and collisions and piles on the ground.

There will be a lot of spread if the practices and games are played. Nearly all the players will survive because they are so fit and healthy. Some will croak, because that's how the disease behaves.

People want to close their eyes and make it all go away.

Phil Fulmer is still adamant they will have full crowds
by miamioh_irishfan  (2020-06-24 14:22:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Neyland Stadium this fall.

Not sure what planet he's living on these days.

Likely....old Phil has the same genetic makup as.....
by nddad98  (2020-06-24 20:00:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trump....whatever I say is what is the truth, regardless of proven facts to the contrary.

It was an odd comment.........
by Ty Webb  (2020-06-24 21:39:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per a UT site article:

“I am confident. I think we’ll play,” Fulmer said. “I don't think anybody knows exactly yet what that will look like. We’re planning on a full stadium and adjust from there. If we don’t, we’re in trouble ...It’s easier to adjust down than adjust up. Hopeful that the trend will turn back down after it’s turned up in our country in places. Bend the curve back down and we can all participate if we want to.”

Is he saying they are in trouble if they don't have a full stadium or is he saying they are in trouble if they don't adjust from full attendance if there are health concerns?

I just took it as be prepared to be able to handle everyone.
by tdiddy07  (2020-06-25 12:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And if you don't need that much staffing because of reduced attendance, then you can adjust accordingly. It seemed like a non-statement to me.

They aren't letting kids use locker rooms
by jt  (2020-06-22 20:37:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe that they can also do this for college athletes.

I have no idea how this is going to happen. I'm concerned for the old guys mostly, and I would like to see a study on how this is impacting people of color.

so I guess that after thinking about this, I would say
by jt  (2020-06-23 12:44:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"the bottom line is, how can they (if they can) keep people, including athletes, safe?"

What steps must be taken to maintain safety? It certainly appears that the virus spreads more in close quarters with poor ventilation. That would mean locker rooms, dorms, and classrooms are high risk for sure. How can we protect the entire student body? One person to a dorm? Rent out a local hotel for athletes? Limited in person classes?

As it relates specifically to athletics, can we do disinfectants between drills (and between drives in games)? Is there protective gear (breathable masks, etc.) that the athlete can wear? Can they have limited fans at games?

Should we just throw up our hands and get back into bed assuming that we cannot answer these questions? That seems to be the strategy many are taking, including ACross, Officer Tim, Irish Warrior, the entire board over at FOFM world, and others. I don't know, perhaps they are right. If there are no answers until a vaccine (and there certainly might not be, I don't want to minimize that argument), it will dramatically change the University system and athletics (especially the collegiate model).

We'll certainly know a lot more once the NBA starts
by Irish Warrior  (2020-06-24 09:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was thinking about this the other day, I think you and I are closer on this than we perceive. The truth is, no one knows exactly how this will play out. As negatively as I've viewed this whole thing, I agree, it's worth a shot and planning to move forward is worth it. At some point, though, after enough data points have been gathered, someone will have to make a decision to forge ahead or shut it down. NCAA basketball did that, and that involved their Tournament, the biggest money maker for the NCAA! The biggest problem becomes, what to do when there are positive tests during camp or the season, and we have to be realistic that there will be, experts agree that even the NBA's bubble won't be immune. Teams will have to decide on their own and those decisions will greatly affect the ultimate season outcome.

All this being said, I don't think there's any way possible that fans will be involved in the ultimate decision. That opens a pandora's box that would threaten far too many that goes beyond just a couple hundred people and that's not acceptable to anyone.