so I guess that after thinking about this, I would say
by jt (2020-06-23 12:44:20)
Edited on 2020-06-23 12:45:44

In reply to: They aren't letting kids use locker rooms  posted by jt

"the bottom line is, how can they (if they can) keep people, including athletes, safe?"

What steps must be taken to maintain safety? It certainly appears that the virus spreads more in close quarters with poor ventilation. That would mean locker rooms, dorms, and classrooms are high risk for sure. How can we protect the entire student body? One person to a dorm? Rent out a local hotel for athletes? Limited in person classes?

As it relates specifically to athletics, can we do disinfectants between drills (and between drives in games)? Is there protective gear (breathable masks, etc.) that the athlete can wear? Can they have limited fans at games?

Should we just throw up our hands and get back into bed assuming that we cannot answer these questions? That seems to be the strategy many are taking, including ACross, Officer Tim, Irish Warrior, the entire board over at FOFM world, and others. I don't know, perhaps they are right. If there are no answers until a vaccine (and there certainly might not be, I don't want to minimize that argument), it will dramatically change the University system and athletics (especially the collegiate model).

Replies: